Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is rust a big problem?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by ROZEE, Aug 3, 2007.

1. I'm thinking of buying a bike next week, it's a spada. It's got some rust

on the tank I beleive (only seen pics).

I'm wondering; if it's just a little bit of surface rust is this ok? and easily

repairable? Or should I stay away from anything that has any rust at all?

Any help appreciated :)

2. surface rust should be ok, you can sand it off or give it rust removal spray or something similar.

and spray paint it if the area was previousky painted.

But don't buy anything thats rusted to the core and about to break off lol
  3. Yeah i was hoping sanding or similar would be ok, thanx!
  4. Don't you have a 125 madass?
  5. Keep in mind if it's only surface rust on the outside of the tank about the cheapest you are going to get it repaired is $400.

If it is rust on the inside it needs a kit and that about $120 (from memory) if you do it yourself.

Add together if it's both plus another $100 for someone to do the tank kit for you.

If the tank is rusted through then add probably $500 or more to the respray.

so factor these into any price negotiations
  6. + 1 to the other replies.

I had rust (rust! cracked and peeling paint also) on and in a (leaking) tank, for a year, and it never caused a problem. If the price is right...

PM a pic if you're concerned.

Always add a filter to the fuel line.
  7. Yep that's me, looking to get a bigger bike in the future tho. Also my gf is looking for bikes ie the spada!

On topic- sounds like it will be in my interest to stay away from anything with rust, might have to fork out some extra cash but it's better in the long run.

Thanks every1! :grin: