Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is rear swing arm rubbing

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Tomcatalex, Jun 19, 2008.

1. My bike was in a small collision before i got it, Ive noticed that the rear swing arm is very close to the side of the tyre. So close that i can just fit my drivers licence, or credit card between both arm and tyre. Is it that suposed to be that close, is the rear tyre to fat, would it cause rubbing when under load or if the tyre is below pressure,

need help

2. Not normal. Check the rear wheel is straight first, this will help with that.
    If that's not the problem then most likely the rear swingarm is bent, which is not good.

Edit: Oh and obvious one first, check the tyres that are on it are the right size ;).

3. 1) have youy checked the tyre size against the mfg's recomended as on the label attached to the bike?? although an oversize tyre would be too close to the swingarm on both sides...

2) have you checked the wheel alignment??? a bump from the rear may have distorted the chain tensioners or tweaked the rear axle...

4. Yes tyre is correct size 140 70 17
    and its not just the swing arm, the arm that holds the rear disc brake is even closer, like 1 mm from the side of the rear tyre, has anyone got an across that can tell me how their rear end looks??Take some pics like I have of the rear end or just tell me if yours looks the same

aVGbFiJ.

5.  Top