Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is PowerLet same as BMW socket?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by GunSlingerAU, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Hey guys

My Victory Hammer already has one PowerLet outlet on the handlebars, and I'm getting another put next to the motor next week. The new one is to power a full set of heated clothing from Home page but there's some confusion around the socket type that they use. They advertise one of their connecting cables as a "BMW Plug to Sock Jack 18 Inch Adapter Cable" and below that state "BMW Style Plug (no powerlet did not invent it, BMW did) with 18 inch of 18 AWG wire to a Coax Jack."

Looking at the photo, it appears very similar, almost identical, to a PowerLet plug. Do you guys know if the BMW plug and PowerLet are one and the same? Will that kit work on my bike?

2. Yes, search on powerlet hella merit bmw iso 4165

Bought a merit plug from jaycar last year and made it into a usb charger - worked fine.

3.  Top
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks guys, much appreciated - I've googled the hell out of it, but couldn't get a definitive answer.

5. Super Cheap Auto sells them as Merit and they have a line of adaptor plugs that work in both sockets. They are superior to cigarette lighter plugs because the have a positive grip and don't shake loose while you are riding but the are both bulky and there are more compact styles of plug that can carry more current. Jaycar carry them.