Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is not riding my bike bad for it?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Renee_AW, Jan 17, 2010.

1. I have a 2006 GPX250R which due to severe morning sickness for the past five months I have been unable to ride.

After about two months I had the battery charged & was starting it up every few days but that became unsustainable....I just haven't been well enough.

Anyway, I am six months pregnant now & have decided not to ride until after baby is born so my bike will be sitting in my garage for at least another three months without being ridden.

Can anyone advise if other than making the battery flat this will harm my bike in any way and if it will if there is anything I can do to reduce any harm (other than go for a ride)?

I don't have friends who ride so asking someone else to ride it for me is out of the question.

2. You should disconnet the battery, turn off the fuel valve (cape) and don't forget to turn back on when you want to start to ride again also important to check the tires presure. Aparts from that I don't think it cause any more harm.
  3. Get a trickle charger for the battery and leave it in the bike. I'm about to head OS for 5 months and got one of these for each bike
    from repco. shelf price was $110 but got them for $85 each. (Ring first they seem keener to offer a good price to get you there). Pretty easy to put them on. My neighbour works overseas and puts his bike on one and it starts first time when he gets back.
    Just before I go I'll put one up on stands and overinflate the tyres on the other.
  4. Not sure on the exact details of it, but if you have the inclination, it doesnt hurt to put just a couple of ml's of clean engine oil into your combustion chamber and turn it over a couple times (plugs in but not connected so it wont fire, oh and fuel tap OFF!!!). Shouldnt hurt it at all (i mean just a couple of ml's not litres :p), should be no harder to start then they can normally be, and will protect against corrosion etc in the engine - then you dont really need to turn it over every few days or so.

Really its for longer term storage, but even a few months of not running it, id want to do something like this. Some might also suggest a full oil change before storing as well, else it can easily settle and get gunky.

All, feel free to correct me if im wrong!

Good luck with the baby!
  5. I haven't ridden now for nearly 6 months and have left it on a trickle charger, once a month I will start it for a few minutes to let the oils circulate, in a week's time I'll be going on the first ride and it will be a gentle but long one at highway speeds.
  6. Fuel can age as a lot of the volatile components evaporate off. So put some fresh stuff in when you get back to riding. A little bit of methylated spirits mixed in the fuel while it is in storage will combat moisture condensation. Just a cap or two is enough.

Best of luck with the baby, I hope you do get time to get back to riding when you have a new baby but you will have to be determined to make time for yourself and have an understanding baby sitter :)
  7. Fill the fuel tank up with standard unleaded, to prevent internal rust. Clean and lube the chain, to prevent rust. Clean the fairings, any dead bugs will dry to a crisp over three months. Buy a motorcycle cover and stick it on. Buy a trickle charger and connect your battery to it, worthwhile investment, particularly if you get pregnant again. :p

Of course, there is always option (b):

8. Yes, it is absolutely terrible for it, to avoid such issues you should loan the bike to me and I'll personally make sure it stays in tip top shape...

9. There's a BMW forum I'm on which currently has all the Septics and Canadians discussing how to store their bikes for the North American winter.

The following seemed to meet with the most approval.

Running the engine will initially produce water vapor in the exhaust system by condensation, witness the white vapor a bike or a car emits at a cold start-up. A bike if it is run from storage and re-stored should be allowed to warm up completely before it is shut down otherwise liquid water created as the vapor cools may remain in the exhaust system. I suggest allowing the bike to idle until it is off "choke" to permit the oil to warm and then running the engine at 1500-1800 rpm to thoroughly heat up the exhaust system, e.g. the muffler is warm to the touch. Not starting a well prepped, stored bike is a better alternative
  10. then shove something into the exhaust pipe to limit cold moist air ingress during cool down.