Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is my bike learner legal in NSW?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Kurtis_Strange, Oct 27, 2005.

1. It won't be an issue for long as I can go straight from learner to unrestricted, but I was wondering if the Hornet I have just bought is in fact learner legal in NSW?

I know they have a 'power to weight ratio' law up here but I'm not sure how it works, anyone know?

Here's the bike

http://www.bikesales.com.au/as/sear...0&previousResultPerPage=20&currentPage=1&x=59

2. Fairly sure it's not...

3. This is the list from the RTA. It shows which 250's you CAN'T ride and the 250-600's that you CAN ride.

4. Nope its not learner legal...thanks for the list.

I guess in a way I'm glad its not on there, well the petrol head in me is anyway :wink: but its good to have a definitive answer.

Do they bust your arse all the way back to the stone age if you ride without the correct licence? (not that I plan to do it)

5. You will basically negate any insurance. The condition of your insurance is that you are learner legal (emphasis on the legal), and if you are not you will be in strife. Put it this way, if you have a GSX600R with an L plate on it, you may as well have a black and white striped jumper on and a bag over your shoulder with 'SWAG' written on it. It's a bit unsubtle. Best to stay legal.