Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is it worth spending $1k on suspension setup?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by rabbit, Jan 25, 2008.

1. I've had a quote for setting up the suspension on the cbr and its come in at $500 for a crappy job (yes, thats what the sales guy said) or $1000 for a decent setup.

I'm looking for some justification to spend that much.

The bike is a bit too tall for me, so they would be able to lower it a bit, and put in softer springs etc. (I have noticed that I feel every single bump on the road and had my butt leave the seat due to one :shock: )

2. Someone's pulling your plonker. You should be able to setup any new 600 well within your requirements.

Back the pre-load off at both ends and back the damping off.

I'd say the bucking incident was a result of too much compression damping, rather then too hard a spring.

Spend the money on ride schools.
  3. You've bought yourself a sports bike, which are supposed to be firmer than your GPX. Technically, as Raven was setting up the preload sag for me, turns out the springs are too stiff for my weight too. However, after playing a little with the stock supsension we've found what feels to be a pretty good set-up for me, considering I'm after being solid through the corners rather than cushy on long distances.

But then, I'm not trying to lower mine. Maybe you need to do something different for that.
  4. begucking triple posts
  5. dopey bastard
  6. LOL OK Ibast, we get it!! lol

Rabbit, standard springs are aimed at about a 70kg rider. I suspect you're well under that.

Have you had your suspension properly set up for your weight? (as per the many suspension set up links scattered throughout these forums)

I'm assuming the stock settings are still there, so they'll be too hard and to stiff for your weight, so backing off the preload to suit your weight will end up with the bike even taller. :shock: But it will feel better and more pliable. You can gain some height difference by using a thinner seat but if that is no good, you'll need to go with one of:

- more suitable springs - perhaps one size under so that the correct preload setting will end up with a slightly more squat bike, or

- or correctly rated springs, but with rear linkage changes and front fork height changes to lower the bike in an engineered way. This will allow you to set suspension up properly without compromise for height.

$1000 might end up about right. Front fork springs and a fork service alone is about $400. The rear adjustments and linkage changes, could make up the difference.

If you have to change bike height, it pays to have it done in a properly engineered way.
  7. :rofl:
    There's not much seat as it is!
  8. Less preload actually results in a lower bike. :!:
  9. Really?! Oops. What about if you make it thinner/less wide? Sometimes that gives you some leg reach gains. :-k
  10. It does?? If I back off the spring (wind off preload), the spring lengthens?? If I compress the spring (wind on preload) the spring shortens.

Before there's any debate, its probably best to review the one we've already had here: https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16619
  11. dooooohhhh!!!!!!
  12. Devo, we're also talking about a bike with springs that are already too stiff...

Pinkxie, I think you're right, not much shaving margin there.
  13. I've got the spring wound down to make it lower, but haven't changed anything else yet.

There isn't much that can be done with the seat - its quite thin and doesn't overhang the bike edges much at all.
  14. I dont know Rabbit or how big he is but has anyone got on the scales fully kitted up? Apparently my gear weighs about 100kg :LOL:

Thats my story anyway :wink:
  15. Noooo. If you pre-load more it takes more static weight. So the bike sits higher. It's a pretty easy ting to measure. On full pre-load on my bike (front) there is about 140mm between the seal and the triple clamp. On minimum pre-load there is only about 90.
  16. hmm. thats a good point.

I'm about 56kg, but with all my gear, it would be more. Have to get on and weigh myself .....
  17. Ibast, apologies if I have it arse about - I will have a play over the weekend on the tracky which has linear springs.

:-k So you're saying, if I wind on preload, the spring doesn't shorten?? Or that it does but that the bike doesn't sag as much under it's own/rider's weight, so in effect it "rises"??? :-k

Sorry for making this a confusing thread Rabbit.
  18. I think on a linear responce spring the spring always ends up the same length. The reason being the spring always takes the same load for that length.

So when you raise the cap on the front fork, the top of the spring stays in the same spot (as does the bottom of course) and as such the top part of the fork actually lowers over the bottom.
  19. With more preload the spring IS shorter, but the overall travel is not affected at all. Where the bike sits within that travel (be it just the bike's weight, or the rider's weight) changes.