Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is it worth changing bikes?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Enrgkid, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Hey all, first of all apologies if this is not the right forum, please move if wrong.

I had until this morning a deposit on a Ninja 300, but I cancelled it as I think it's a better idea to hold onto my little zzr250 and put a touch more money into perfecting it than dumping it for the ninja, which I was only buying because well I can.

My theory is that I'm better off just to hold onto the zzr250 till I'm off restrictions (which is a long way off) and then upgrade to something a bit nicer than if I bought a new bike now and a new bike then. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

As much as I wanted the new ninja I figured If i save the money I planned to spend on the ninja and add the money I would have had when I got off restrictions I could probably buy something a lot nicer.

Just wanted to know what you guys were thinking?

side note: I have my eye on a really cheap CBR250RR MC22 as a project bike. Which is dirt cheap anyway

2. Personally, I would save up and buy something you always wanted when you get off restrictions.
  3. If you have the will to hold off then I would do it. I haven't ridden a zzr250 nor a ninja 300 but I can't imagine it would be a huge leap in torque and power, so I am sure you may have only been happy with it for a small period of time.

I rode a ninja 250 for around 3months and put on 4000kms. After you get used to having the throttle fully open, the enjoyment goes down a fair bit. I spur of the moment traded my ninja in for a M659. Managed to lose around 1.5k on the ninja in....3months! If money doesn't really phase you, then maybe get something with a few more CC's which will keep your power hunger at bay.

I am not rich nor do I care about spending $$, so the choice for me to upgrade was more about safety (bigger brakes, better handling, better ergonomics, extra weight for being stable on the highway) plus the sound is amazing.

I'm a rookie with bikes, but is there any law stopping a restricted rider from riding a higher CC bike on the race track? maybe that might get some of the urge out of your system.
  4. Haha It's not so much the power thing it was more I felt like I wanted a newer bike, but the little ZZR has grown on me.

I find the ZZR is stable and has enough power to get me out of any trouble, I have also changed the gearing a little bit, cant remember exactly buy I think I went up 2 teeth on the rear. I have new fairings for it as well. Handling wise I'm not a good enough rider yet to milk it to the extent of its handling abilities. only complaint is lack of fuel gauge. but you learn to read your odo

I thought about changing the deposit to the 600 or a monster 659 they had there. Money isn't really a problem, just thought I'm better off learning on this and if I have (another) spill I won't cry as much as if I got a new bike.
  5. I have a Monster 600 you can buy :) Definitely better than my old ZZR was lol.
  6. I agree with the others; why trade an older restricted bike for a newer restricted bike?
  7. Im glad it seems the consensus is that I made the right decision, as for the MC22 I think Ill pick it up, my mate is selling to me for about $350, it needs alot of care and attention but I got the spare time
  8. As someone else has said, hold off (if you can) on getting another bike until you are off restrictions.

If it was because you found Bike A really uncomfortable so you are going to buy bike B because it's alot more comfortable then maybe.
  9. G'day Enrgkid. I posted a thread "First Bike After Restrictions" and received a lot of comments about this topic. I have a GS500F at the moment and already would like more power - but not until the end of the year and after my restrictions are completed. Right now I love the Triumph Street Triple and the Aprilia Shiver (no longer interested in cruisers because i love riding in the hills nearby), however I might stay with my 500 as it it a lot of fun, gives me 3.5 litres per 100km (got to 420km once and had yet to hit reserve) and don't want to throw too much money into what would be a nice upgrade. I am learning that running it in slightly higher revs occasionally (around 7k, with red line at 11k) when taking off from lights etc brings on the fun power, not too much to get me in trouble.

Don't upgrade to another restricted bike, wait out your time and then you can move up if ypu want with more choice.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Im glad I asked this question, seems my decision was right. I find the zzr more than comfortable, plenty of power when I need it, and I'm not going to cry too much if I do crash it even with new fairings. I think I'll keep it and like I said get a project bike for a bit of spare time fun
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. When I was buying my first learner's bike a friend of mine advised me to buy the largest permitted bike. In retrospect he was right, as you get used to the power fairly quickly. I was in the same situation as you just a few months ago: itching to get something exciting while on restricted license. I got Ducati Monster 659, which was nice. However, I lost a few grand a month ago when I sold it and upgraded to Ninja 1000.

Depending on how long your restriction is going to last you may want to hand=g on to what you have now. Switching from 250 to 300 cc is unlikely to make a big difference, so if your itch is unbearable rather get something 650 cc. At this capacity you can find something quite fast.

And yet another note: restriction is there for a reason. After riding for couple of months it feels that you have all the experience you need, but you don't. From time to time there are close calls, and I think rather have them on smallish bike rather than superstrong. So sticking to a small bike and getting good at riding it is not a bad idea either.
  12. Wow that is dirt cheap. Does it run??? Cant go wrong though. You could probably sell the wheels for that much
  13. Ride the tits off the ZZR250 and learn every aspect of road craft and body position on it. Crashing it will be far less painful to bear than a brand spanker and you'll learn a lot from a slow bike. In my opinion, when you have learned the ZZR250 inside and out, upgrading to a better equipped bike will make it easier for you to handle, except the throttle...easy on the throttle!

I have been riding my 250 Suzuki Across for 6 years now and I've pushed this thing to it's limits many times...although not the best for high speed twisties, it has taught me body position and road craft without the added speed...that gave me a lot more room for correction during hairy moments. Only last month did I purchase a better bike for the road, but only a VFR400, which in my opinion has enough torque/power for everyday commuting.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

14. It runs but it has no body panels and needs new clutch, chain sprockets and possibly cam chain, I'm thinking for that money It wouldn't hurt to take the engine apart and rebuild it making sure it's all in some good condition.
  15. mc22 has gear driven cams.. one less thing on the list :D

wish I had that sort of deal available to me... I could use it as a parts bike.
  16. Looks like a bargain project bike.
  17. Oh it is and score no cam chain. Looking at the tyga performance kit and build the bike over a year or so
  18. Easy holding on to a lower power bike. I don't see the issue with my 125 which i imagine is quite a bit slower than your 250 till im off mine. Then i have much more money to spend on the bike i want come time when they get lifted.
  19. buy the inline 4, sell the zzr to fund rebuilding it....i did exactly that...went from a zzr 250 to a zxr250 (the kwakka cousin to the MC22) and i didn't think i'd be able to find a bike i could enjoy without stepping up to the 600's which i wasnt too keen on - i was wrong and couldn't be happier with my lil zxr.

edit- didnt sell zzr to fund rebuilding mine....sold my zzr as i was sick of it after tasting the power delivery and riding position of the zxr.
  20. Nope. None at all.

But there may be clauses in the conditions of the event permit if it's a ride day. Check with the organisers of the event you want to ride at.

there are people who race that don't have road bikes and aren't licensed to ride on the road.
  21. Definitely hold off. I was so tempted to jump onto a different lams bike while on restrictions, but after getting onto a proper supersports my ninja just seems like an upperclass postie bike in comparison.