Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is it really worth commuting on a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by POPEYE, Dec 17, 2013.

1. #1 POPEYE, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    things are slowing at work since the holidays are coming up,

so i came up with this comparison between my car & bike running costs.

surprisingly the bike is not that far behind in terms of generally running costs (29 cents per km v 36 cents per km), add in track days & long weekend rides & it would easily exceed the car.

the main commuter saving is obviously time, however, the risk of serious injury & the monotony of constantly dressing & undressing in moto riding gear can get pretty annoying.

anyway i thought i would share & ask the question:

is really worth commuting on a motorcycle?

BTW my answer is yes most of the time purely for time saving & the enjoyment of riding....if i didn't enjoy riding it would be no.

Attached Files:

2. Why would you want to do it any other way ??

The only reason I go to work is the ride to and from ...
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. In terms of cost I think it depends on the car you drive. For example I know that a little Mitsubishi 1400cc Colt ('85 model - don't ask) is far more economical in terms of fuel, tyres and maintenance than my 1152cc Bandit 1200.

But if you compared a V8 Landcruiser to say a GPX250, the bike would be miles in front.

On the commute, time is the biggest saving on a bike (assuming it's not a huge tourer that can't filter).
  4. There's no question that it's totally worth it as far as I'm concerned.

The "monotony" of putting on gear really doesn't come into it once you work it into your routine - it just happens and doesn't take very long at all. Maybe an extra 30 seconds each way.

For me, I have three options for commuting to work - car, train or bike. It's a 35km trip each way, and I work in the CBD so going in the car I'd have to factor in parking costs which, living in Victoria, isn't a factor on the bike. I would NEVER commute to work in a car.

Car = 50-90min each way, plus parking costs = stupidly expensive
    Train = 60min each way (3 hours if the trains are out)
    Bike = 40-55min each way (avg 45min)

Bike = 5l/100km
    Car = 9l/100km

Bike rego is about the same as car rego
    Bike service is about the same as car service
    Bike tyres is about half car tyres
    Bike parking = LOL
    Bike commute time = LOL

Plus, if I get bored/tired/upset/angry - I can just go for a ride on the way home and work it out. I can't do that on the train or in the car.

It's a no-brainer for me.
  5. Financially, for me - no.

Yet I still do it.

Enough said.
  6. It takes 10-15 mins to get 6km to and from work and despite it taking more time to get in and out of gear then actual riding, it is still worth it.

You just have to deal with the holier art thou Lycra types that seem to have the need to tell me every day that I should be riding a pushbike instead. I actually have a good pushie at home but am turned off by it because of these Lycra types.
  7. Forget about cost. The best part of my day is riding to and from work.
    I wear dainese overpants takes 30 seconds to put them on over the top of my work pants.
  8. I'm similar to @Masakali . I even chose my apartment so I could ride my pushy - but the traffic is appalling and with two near misses from drivers just not looking and cutting across cycle lanes... I have a better chance of staying out of harm on the motorbike.
  9. the price difference is negligible for me

car: ~6.9L/100km
    Bike ~5.2L/100km

once gearing up and down is factored in, the time difference is negligible
    the freeway is most of my journey which moves at the speed limit most of the time.

tyres: bike is much more expensive (please keep in mind these are approximates)

car: 1 set/~80000km @~$1000
    bike: 1 set/~8000km @~$350 (3.5 times as much)

because of these factors, i only ride when it is good weather, when i am well and when i am in the right mindset (and i guess when i have a license).

as far as the train is concerned, it costs about half of my fuel alone, but takes longer, is just plain annoying, and i usually end up sick most of the time.

all said and done, i wouldnt be giving up commuting on the bike in a hurry. it just allows me to get everything out of my mind, and focus on the ride.

10. Oh yeah I forgot about the pants issue. My workplace forbids jeans, but I wear Draggin cargos so... they're apparently OK. Sweet.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. One thing missing in your calculation is devaluation. Bikes tend to devalue less as a percentage term and of course you are basing it off a smaller value.

your 318D will probably drop $15k in value next year, but you bike will probably only drop $2k, at worst.

Also I note in you comparison you have amatised the cost of each over different kilometers. This might be the cost to you, but for the question to be valid, you really need to compare one or the other.

So from above, it appears you do 25Mm per year. That's 22c/km if you do it all on the bike and sell the car and 81.5c/km if you do it all in the car (allowing for my devaluation assumptions).

If you have to own both then you need to remove fixed costs from the comparison. Rego, insurance, etc all have to be paid regardlesss of which vehicle you use. You only then need to allow for the km based devaluation.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. No brainer for me. The only thing that puts a smile on my dial weekdays is jumping on the bike twice a day................... unless of course Mrs Lionz has a moment of weakness and decides to turn a midweek trick.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1

13. Extra cash makes me smile too.

• Funny Funny x 2

14. :ROFLMAO:

I just spat a mouthful of coke over my keyboard.

And my reference to spitting is not related in any way, shape or form to Lionz Mrs.
  15. I thought it was the tooth fairy leaving a retainer under her pillow.........Mmmm, come to think of it she has been looking rather happy mid week of late.

Thanks Tas man - i'll let Mrs Lions know what's expected of her ;)
  16. Yes you are correct, but i did not want to factor in the type of car so much as my wife chose & paid for the bmw, i just happen to drive it half the time.

for example i paid $10k for my bike & i could have spent $10k on a corrolla, fuel might cost more as its not efficient as a diesel but that would be offset by the decrease in comprehensive insurance. Depreciation would be similar to a bike at that stage too, however i originally came up with these figures to reflect my circumstances.
  17. nsfw:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Footpath parking (in Victoria). Say. No. More.
    • Agree Agree x 3

19. In that case, you have both vehicles anyway, so rego, CTP and insurance needs to come out of the comparison.

The result will be even worse for the bike.

The only way you can really justify a bike financially is if you are replacing the car entirely.

For me, using the bike for commuting was about sanity and about taking the variable out of the travel time.

Car could be one hour, but could be up to 2, depending on variables. bike was pretty consistently 50min.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. There should have been a box to tick...(It depends).

At one stage, I used to commute to work in the heart of down town Sydney, on my old (but newish then) Honda Hornet 600.

A pair of tyres, and there were only sticky tyres available, was over $500.

For $500 I bought an old Yammie 125 commuter bike and saved a fortune on tyres, fuel and parking fees.....who's gonna steal on old 125 commuter bike?

Personally, I was not mentally capable of commuting into the city in a car, I'd have killed someone sooner or later, but I can remain cool calm and collected on a motorbike.

If you MUST think like an accountant, you have to compare like with like....
    if you commute on, say a Gixxer 600, then compare the running costs of that to ....
    maybe a Boxter Porsche of some similar car.

If you have to think of a cheap car, then do the sums for a cheap, and designed for the job, bike, like maybe a CB250.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1