Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is it ok to put a different compound tyre on the front?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by generalyuehfei, Sep 15, 2005.

1. I recently purchased a bike with a relatively new Dunlop D220 on the back. The front has a shabby d204 that requires replacement. I'd like to replace the front tyre this saturday and the motorcycle store has recommended the d208 for a bit more traction. He has stock of the 208 but needs to order the d220 if I want it this afternoon. Could he be recommending to 208 coz it's in stock or do you think it is genuine advice?

His justification for it was that if the front slips, the bike generally falls, hence better to have some more stick there and also will get a more even wear from back to front....

Regards, Nick

2. I don't know those tyres, but since the front and rear are different sizes, profiles etc, then having a different compound shouldn't be a problem. It'd be useful to have the stickier one on the front, I guess.

3. I have a soft compound on the front and a touring tyre on the back. Seems to work fine on my ZZ-R1100.

The theory being that seeing the front is doing the turning you want it to grip the road.

4. Yes, go for the sticky one on front if you can, but be aware that, the stickier it is, the faster it will wear.

Also be aware that, if you mix compunds (and there's nothing wrong with doing that) you have to warm up the hardest tyre to proper operating temperature before you start riding hard.

Hard tyres take longer to warm up than sticky ones.

Around 20kms is generally considered right for a hard tyre.

5. Agree with the above, same or stickier on the front I wouldn't go too sticky though, just the next one up, if you know what I mean. Don't know enough about the Dunlops to comment on those specific tyres, but you should be able to trust the dealer (they generally know what they are talking about).

6. Bloke down the road was showing me a tyre with like 3 different compounds. The top was hard then stickyish in the middle then really sticky on the side.... Anyone tried ones like them?

7. Bridgestones do them (BT0**). I swore by them for my old Gixxer.

Oops! (clicked the mouse by mistake).

For outright grip there are better tyres, but the Bridgestones were still excellent (lasted for ages too).
    Of course, times move on quickly in the tyre world so I don't know how they compare now (my experience was around a couple of years ago - I've had a years' lay off imbetween and my new steed came with something completely different...).

Yeah, anyone running these now who can give us a comparison?

8. Haven't tried them but my wrench thinks they're a good idea and he knows stuff (no, it's not deyago)

9. Thanks guys... So basically the shop's advice was spot on as the 208 is the next one up from the 220 (touring tyre which is farely new and on the back already). So there isn't a big difference but enough to provide that extra grip....

That's the second time the helmet warehouse in Yagoona has provided spot on advice...

Regards, Nick