Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is it ok to only want to be a hobby rider?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jleno, May 20, 2012.

1. I enjoy riding, but it's not something I have time to do "full-time". For me the fun of riding is open, scenic roads and that sense of freedom (don't know how else to describe it), not traffic lights, gridlock (especially since filtering is illegal here) and car/bus fumes. Hence I don't commute by riding.

I know experience plays a key part of road safety, and as a fair-weather rider, I'm not going to have the skills of riding ingrained in my head as someone who rides daily. That's not to say I don't appreciate their importance, but more to say it's going to take me longer to get that experience.

There must be many of you who are similarly time-poor, and may only get the bike out on the weekends, and only on those weekends when you don't have other commitments. For such riders, do you ever reach a stage where you feel that unless you ride more regularly, your potential danger to others on the roads outweighs the enjoyment you get from riding? This would be for newbies and experienced riders, since I'm sure even experienced riders would agree that when they go through a period of not riding regularly (eg after having children and losing their free time to swimming training and soccer practice etc) their skills are not as sharp as when they were riding regularly for years.
  2. Danger to others? Seriously.
  3. i started riding by only doing weekend fun rides, as my bike was a secrete from my parents and that ment that using it to pick up dinner was not very easy.

I now ride most days, and use my bike to commute to uni/social stuff, not as hardcore as a 9-5er commuting every day, and generally ill drive if its actually raining before my departure.

some observations:

1. it made me a good sport rider very quickly, i had no chicken strips after a few rides and had knee down whilst still on L plates.

2. it made me not a very good city rider, things like u turns, riding in the wet, filtering etc, were not as good as my sport riding.

3. now that i do both, i am good at both.

i would say there is nothing wrong with just being a weekend rider, for sure its much safer as the majority of fatal accidents happen in town, just look at the statistics in the 2011 rider down threads.

However if you feel like your riding is a danger to others then you should do some training courses and such to get your commuting skills up rather then your twisty skills.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. as long as you understand your limitations and ride within them you'll be fine. And that applies whether you are a commuter, a weekend warrior or hard core adventure rider. I would second getting some more intermediate level training though, and if you don't feel you're getting enough regular road time maybe repeating the training every so often
    • Like Like x 1
  5. harley davidson huh
  6. good call unconnected, much what I was thinking, although not my experience
  7. grow a set.
  8. Ride when you can, how you like.
    If you’re worried about dangers, then you may either need more time of the bike or reassess what kind of riding you really want to do.
    Every persons ‘ride’ is different, so you should never evaluate your riding against others.
    I know riders who would never ride anything less than the ‘best’ (fastest etc), but can’t do U-turns, and others who would never ride alone.

I reckon motorbikes is strictly a personal thing, it’s not like you’re doing it for anyone else. Because of that you need to ride the path you take, for yourself.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. You will never be a "rider" if you only get out when you can't find an excuse not to, and the sun happens to be shining into the bargain.
    You will simply be "person who owns a motorcycle".
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I think its all good cos im the same
    I agree with why would you wanna choose the bIke for
    A traffic jam in rain
    Youd have to be nuts if you had car with nice heater
    Radio and maccas breakfast
    Ride for fun that way it will be but.
    Im a noob so maybe im not allowed to
  11. Why ask us? WTF do we know about you and your life?
    Mind you, if you get in my way and kill me, I'll have a few choice words for you. (so get those skills up).
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Is it OK to not give a toss what anyone else thinks of you? Yes, yes it is.

So get training / practice commensurate with the risks you're taking and then look cool and carry on.

But you must. look. cool. Don't go making riders look like dorks, ya hear? ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. You need to be the best rider you can be .You owe this to yourself . You need all the skills you can gain the more you ride the better .
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I'm never going to understand why so many guys on bikes care what other people think.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. well on average i only ride once a fortnight. but that will be a 250km round trip through several country towns in the hills.....do i want to ride every day? yes of course, but i can only do a 'decent ride' every fortnight, as i am a weekend dad as well.

i dont consider a 50 km ride a decent ride. i cut my teeth as an 'l plater' riding from windy point (where i live) to flagstaff hill...turn around and come back the same way, in winter 2010 in the dark and wet as it was during winter. that road is 98% twisties and the longest stretch of staight road would be 200 metres.

so when i finally get a whole day to ride....every fortnight, i want to make it a good ride. long straights, hairpins, flowing corners, scenery, hills, coast.... everything.

am i weekend warrior? for sure. but i dont try and ride above my skills. i look for sport bike riders in my mirrors, and give plenty of room for them to blast past.
  16. I get so sick of hearing the fair weather rider taunts. All the people I know who ride every day are the last people to actually come out for a weekend ride. I laugh my ass off when I see all these superbikes parked near work in the city with 2" chicken strips etc. Why do people need a bike with state of the art race tyres, can only run on 98 octane, slipper clutches, launch control etc to sit there overheating in traffic in the daily grind?

I've been through stages where I've ridden rain, hail or shine etc. Getting in road rage with deadshit tradies, getting booked by the cops and losing my license just trying to get to work alive, avoid atleast 3 crashes a day, turning up to work either freezing or sweating, an hour commute of hard concentration and stress, its like doing an extra 2 hours of work a day. Then there's the cost of maintaining an expensive high performance race machine that goes through 3-4 pairs of tyres a year, 4 oil changes and uses more fuel than my car. In NSW bikes pay the same tolls as cars too.

I hope to never end up in that situation again. If that's what a "real rider" is than I must be a poof. I'll stick to track days, drag racing, 180 kph wheelies, getting up at the crack of dawn on a sunday morning for 500km day rides through the mountains with my good mates and my girl on the back, riding to cafes on freezing cold winter nights to watch GP with a group of like minded bike nuts.

Do what puts a smile on your face, don't do anything to impress the couriers and commuters.

But to answer your question about experience - you'll learn more in a 5 hour weekend ride than you will in 6 months commuting.
    • Like Like x 6
  17. Poof :cheeky:

Seriously though, what you've described right here is making time to indulge your "hobby", ignoring the weather and sacrificing sleep-ins along the way.
    Which is quite a bit more than the OP suggests...
  18. The OP has 3 posts, read them and think before replying.

(Some of you must be very flexible to get both feet in your mouth while turking yourself in the bum.)
  19. The OP wants to ride on the weekend, if you've got kids I'd think getting up early is the best way, you can be home for lunch etc on the weekend.

It's important to spend some time in heavy traffic and the rain as part of the learning process, but it will inevitably happen you don't have to go looking for it.
  20. Ride how you want - as long as you do it safely - who cares what others say

I am a hobby rider - I have no desire to ride full time everywhere - if I did I am sure after a while I would start to dislike it
    • Like Like x 1