Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is it OK to have a little bit of friction-modified oil in ?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by pmacleod, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I recently topped up the GS with 100ml of 10W40 car oil that has "additives"...I assume that means friction modifiers. Yeah yeah I know, forgot what I had been told. Anyway, it's 100ml out of a capacity of 2.9 litres so I was thinking it's probably OK to leave in there, but I'm riding down to PI for the supers next week and got a little bit worried about it.

What's the consensus, leave it in or dump the oil and start again ? It's going to be due for a full change and new filter when I get back home anyway.

2. Paul, for the cost of oil and filter, and peace of mind .. Replace it. :wink:
  3. Nothing will happen, ride on.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. If your clutch is not slipping it will be ok.
    Why you need to top up a new'ish bike is a worry though isnt it?
    How many k's?
  5. Won't hurt it.
  6. Just under 13000k's, but it got a big flogging on the last Oxley run so I'm not surprised it burned a little :grin: Clutch doesn't appear to be slipping, but I'll take it for a good run sometime in the next couple of days to be sure.

Oh, and I bought some Motul from Bikebiz today when I was picking up my tailbag...won't make the same mistake again.

7. If the clutch is not slipping when you accelerate hard then it should be fine.
  8. Re: Is it OK to have a little bit of friction-modified oil i

:-( Is it OK to be a little bit pregnant?

As the ad used to say: It won't happen right away, but it will happen...

Not sure that you have enough slippery stuffup in there to make it happen. From my experience (adding a special, silicon-based additive years ago to a 250 Honda - anything to get more power) it could take several thousand kays to slip and slide after a major dose.

Then again, the hp on the honda was not the sort to slip clutches easily...

You usually only notice it in the higher gears, anyway.

All the best

Trevor G
  9. If the friction modifiers do get into the clutch and make it start slipping, will a full oil change sort it out, or does the clutch then need to be taken apart and cleaned?
  10. Depending on how long it's in there and what it is, I guess. If it hasn't started slipping then the sooner it is changed the better. However I don't think that 100 ml of car oil will cause problems, but it's probably better to be safe than sorry.

Clutch plates tend to absorb a certain amount of goop. I have used hot detergent washes and then a steel brush on the steel plates to "score" them a little. Added another 1/4 turn to the clutch spring screws.

An oil change alone will not repair a slipping clutch following friction modified modifications. With prolonged slipping the steel plates will even warp, making them throw-away items. By that stage the friction plates are not worth keeping, either.

Trevor G