Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is it hard to do fibreglass construction?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by marksy, Aug 22, 2007.

1. I have wondered for some time about building my own fibreglass faring for my bike. Some people say it's hard others disagree, what's the general view? I know it costs the earth!

2. Its cheap if u do it yourself,
    Just slow.
    Ive never made a peice from scratch but ive repaired heaps of of em with bits missing and the works.

3. its really not that hard.....the material does all the work for you.....we have made many plugs(the prototype workpeice) for custom jobs,very time consuming and the mess is terrible.My brother makes drag bike bodies all the time....he is forever cutting/changing to make plugs and remoulding......carbon is where you can tell you can tell if the laminator knows what he is doing or not....we have made some vac form stuff before using wet lay and its a bit hit and miss with the first product due to the amount of variables ie,pressure,gel time.

4. It's easy to do it badly, but harder to do it well.

The chances of doing an acceptable job the first time are really slim.

Maybe make something that doesn't matter first. Try a fiberglass mould of your dog.

5. Ok, is there a good place to purchase the materials or is everywhere much the same?

6. try rf services(saint gobain) or FGI (fibreglass international)