Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is Bondi an Island Yet?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2wheelsagain, Mar 26, 2008.

1. 1 big Mother of an ice burg!

Slab of Antarctic ice shelf collapses

Satellite images show that a large hunk of Antarctica's Wilkins Ice Shelf has started to collapse in a fast-warming region of the continent.

The area of collapse measured about 160 square miles (415 square km) of the Wilkins Ice Shelf, according to satellite imagery from the University of Colorado's National Snow and Ice Data Centre.

That's a larger area than Australia's Gold Coast, which is 383 sq km.
    The Wilkins Ice Shelf is a broad sheet of permanent floating ice that spans about 5000 square miles (13,000 square km) and is located on the southwest Antarctic Peninsula about 1000 miles (1600km) south of South America.

More from HERE
  2. Que Pro-Pilot in
  3. :LOL: was thinking the same thing
  4. 2...
  5. yay does this mean that Antarctica is going to become a rainforest again. That would be cool, it would make it a very touristy destinatron
  6. I can just see it now, the ice shelf will break off, it will start to migrate through the ocean dropping temperatures along several ocean currents, this will drop the average temperatures for a couple of years, and Suddenly we will have people warning us of global cooling.
  7. If someone provides a ship, and vast quantities of scotch, I'm willing to do my part to remove that ice from the ocean :LOL:.
  8. :rofl: I'll help JD, that should only take us half the time. :grin:
  9. Do you mind sharing?
    We could make it a party!
  10. So not only have we identified a way to fix the problem, we've already found a way of tripling its effectiveness. That's better than anything any of the so called "experts" have managed, I reckon the Government should cut their research funding and use it instead on funding a giant Netrider ice-shelf piss up :grin:.
  11. I saw the report tonight. I was wondering how a shrinking ice field fitted into the global cooling picture? :?
  12. Saw the pics on the news. It was insane seeing the dead set and near perfect break in the shelf, was insane :shock: