Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is being an asshole a arrestable offence in britain?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by waedwe, Jul 31, 2012.

1. I think the user is a asshole, but arresting someone for that? really?
    Didn't post this inpolitics and law as it's more a general comment than a legal discussion

2. Interesting isn't it - I don't think it would've attracted prosecution in America where free speech is specifically protected.
    I doubt it would even have attracted attention here...
  3. I also heard something on the radio today, About a man in victoria arrested and then banned from facebook by a judge.
    His crime, he was bored and set up a facebook page to rate different womens sexual performances, may be off taste to some, but is it really what we pay police for

edit found that too http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-31/a-court-bans-a-man-from-using-facebook/4167098

4. Yes. Section 474.17 of the Crimes Legislation Admenment (telecommunications offences and other measures) act 2004;

*Using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence.
  5. Different people are offended by different things though, and he most likely didn't have the intention of causing offence with his facebook page, just a laugh
  6. Sorry, meant to say that's an Australian offence. Only person you need to prove it to is the Magistrate, not a community wide poll on whether people are offended or not.
  7. Arrest? No. Large 'C' branded on his forehead for all to see? Yes.
  8. I am not having a go at the police, they don't make the law or policies, more a general is this what we expect them to be doing as there job.

Generally i think the majority of people would see both things as non events and would prefer police tackling harder crimes
  9. It kind of seems wrong, but not something I'm going to lose sleep over. Let's just say he got arrested on a serious case of bad karma.
  10. On that basis alone Smilee, it's abominable and you SHOULD be losing sleep over it.
    Tomorrow, "bad karma" could come to you just for enjoying your new bike, just because someone thinks you're an arsehole for making noise...

I could get locked up every other day.
    Fucking stupid...
  11. #11 smileedude, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Nonsense, people will see me in my brand spanking new helmet on my awesome bike and think boy that awesomeness made my day. And then the karma fairy will deliver me a blowjob.

At least that's my understanding of Buddhism/Hinduism.

12. #12 waedwe, Jul 31, 2012
    If karma doesn't like your bike, it could be chopper reid delivering the blowjob
  13. Around about now you'd be hoping that Mr. Reid isn't a browser of this forum.
  14. #14 smileedude, Jul 31, 2012
    Nah, since he got the job for the karma fairy he has been way too busy :bolt:

15. Turns out it was a 13 year old girl. I don't think she or her parents would have found it very funny.
  16. In the original OP what the article failed to mention but the television news did was that the offender also tweeted a death threat, silly as it was "I'll come over and drown you you cocky twat"
    This was the actual reason the tweeter got in trouble.
  17. When it comes to bullying, harassment, etc it doesn't matter what the intention was, it's how it's taken that matters.
  18. still rather they police the internet,
    then sit in camoflage with a radar gun.