Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is an expensive powerful bike a bad idea after LAMS?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ducm3, Nov 22, 2011.

1. I have another 6 months to go before my LAMS restrictions expire but am already planning a list of potential upgrade bikes.

I am not averse to the idea of something like an 1198SP or Streetfighter, BMW R1200 R, H-D 48, Triumph Speed Triple etc. These are all powerful and expensive bikes. However, would this be an unwise idea? Am I better off getting a mid-range bike for a couple of years to gain some more experience first?

Although bikes are relatively new for me, I am an older learner (40) and consider myself to have the self control to ride sensibly and responsibly, that's why I ask the question.
  2. Your last sentence seems to answer the question. Well that coupled with an actual ability to handle and extra weight or size that also comes with the bigger bike.

I think it is fine to go from a LAMS bike to powerful 1 litre + bike, I did it. Most people make the jump at some stage and the new bike will only be as quick as you tell it to be.

3. You might be paying more per annum for insurance than the bike is worth.
    Under twenty five and just on opens with no rating for a zx10 can go as high as 5g
    ooops just saw ur age. Sorry.
    I would but that's just me. It's your cash.
    I find it harder to stay at road speeds on a 600 than a thou sports bike. I am having to dig down the gears and tap the 600.
    Where on the thou I can just dawdle along. It will pull fine in forth @ 60 or top @ 110. The 600 wont or it will leave you on the wrong side of the road longer.
    And funnily I enjoy the 600's more at the track. My times are not as good. but to get good times on a 6 you need to be super smooth and well ahead of yourself. You really need a plan.
    On a thou I just dig deeper and go in harder lol ham fist it.
  4. He mentioned he was an older learner (40), so the insurance should be ok depending on his previous record. My insurance company (SWANN) went off my good 12 yr driving record for the bike insurance, so I got good deal while still on LAMS and early off it too.
  5. Mate buy what you want, you're a big boy. As my politically incorrect father said to me once, "your free, white and over 18, do what you want".

Other than the HD48 (I'm actually surprised to see that mentioned in the same breath as the other bikes) you may find the bikes you mentioned a bit of a handful for a while, but given you give yourself time to learn the bike you should be fine.

My advice would be to do as much research as you can, than when you are able take them all for a test ride then buy the one that gives you the biggest smile.
  6. Cheers guys, I know the HD48 was the black sheep in that mix but I love the look of it.

On a different track, does anyone have any experience with any of the BMW naked bikes, either the R1200R or the K1300R?
  7. Not the big naked ones no. I've test ridden the previous model R1200RT and K1300GT. I wasn't a huge fan of the 1300, I just didn't gel with the bike at all. But that's just me. The R1200RT was a surprise, I didn't like the gearbox but it was certainly comfortable and it is on the short list of bikes that I'd re-ride should the Bandit ever need to be replaced.
  8. I initially had a Gladius 650 that got stolen and replaced it with a CB400. After my restrictions I went straight to a Bandit 1250.

So, I am already used to a torquey bike with the SFV650, but its still nothing like how the Bandit pull off from idle. Just need to give the bike respect as it can easily overwhelm you at first.
  9. I haven't ridden the new Bandit, but own the older 1200. I got my wife to ride it just after she got her full licence, with good (read sensible) throttle control it wasn't a problem. Our eldest son on the other hand, didn't have such good (again read sensible)throttle control and it scared him.
  10. More important is what kind of riding do you want to do? That should tell you what you ought to buy.
  11. As I said, respect the bike and you will be fine. :)
  12. You'll be right. Just insure it
  13. I was actually agreeing with you, just showing the difference between a 'sensible' person and a person who isn't. Oh, I should point out our son is no longer scared of the Bandit, he's actually considering a 1250N as a replacement for his FZ6N.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I'm 24 and got a 2009 CBR1000 Blade a month before getting off LAMS. Its the best thing i've ever done.

Not only was i too big for every unrestricted 600 i rode, i would have become sick of them after a few months anyway. I love my thou.
  15. You're 40 and reckon your body is up to an 1198SP as a regular ride?
    Half your luck, mine isn't.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I've got 3 months to go on LAMS and have already ordered my Ducati Diavel. Heard enough of " you'd be better off with something smaller and less powerful first".

Funny , my insurance quotes are up to $200.00 less for the Diavel than my Current V Star 650.
  17. My dad is 50 and rides an Mv F4 312RR no problems
  18. "Coupled with the three level D-Mode electronics throttle response control, riders have 21 different choices available to tailor the YZF-R1 to their riding preference...."

The issue (I'm told) is about what happens to the back wheel when you open up the throttle too much out of a corner. ie smooth inputs are more of a problem than good intentions -- that's what I'm telling the wife when I get an R1 off LAMS ;) (still on Ls so a ways off)
  19. As the others have said, it's really up to you. I went from a VTR250 to a Tiger 1050 and I'm sure others have done crazier leaps.

Thing is, particularly for 'sports touring' kind of bikes like the Tiger 1050, they're using the 4x bigger engine for tractability and comfort and practicality; for easily motoring through traffic with a passenger and/or luggage rather than making 180hp/L in a balls-to-the-wall attempt at breaking the speed of sound. The Tiger can happily chug along at 3000rpm (where it makes a maximum of 40-50hp) for commuting duties and it's as docile as the VTR250 I used to ride. You don't HAVE to ride around at 10,000rpm with 130+hp just the twitch of a wrist away.

... and then, when teleportation is required, you've got the option. ;)

It does pay to be smooth and predictable with the controls, though, as with any vehicle. Don't just snap the throttle open 'n see what happens - feed it in progressively to make the weight and traction shift predictable.
  20. I think this is the key question.....do you know enough about what you want from a bike to spend big $$ on it?

There are plenty of pre-loved toys out there that can be had for a significantly less $$ than the latest, shiniest creation and allow you to refine your understanding of what you are looking for.

I'd feel pretty silly spending >$20k on the bikes on your list, and then discovering that it isn't what I wanted.

Your list covers some very different machines - streetfighters, cruisers, sportsbikes, adventure tourers......do you know what you are looking for yet?

If you want to experiment then buy something that is a few years old and has depreciated a little....if it fits with your riding style and habits, then you will appreciate the improvements made to the latest model and be ready to trade up. If it doesn't then you can probably sell it for what you paid for it, and try something different on the basis of what you have learnt.
    • Like Like x 2