Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is about $2689 a lot to spend

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by PJ2, Nov 6, 2006.

1. I'm about to buy my first lot of gear, and I am just wondering is about $2689 a lot to spend. (I defiently want leather).

I got my prices of 'Gobike.com.au' are there prices comparable to Bikemart ? or cheaper/ dearer ? (Also If I buy it all at the same place will I get a bigger discount.)

Heres how it breaks down;

Helmet $689

Boots $250 to 300

Jacket (leather) $800 to 900

Pants (leather) $500
    Draggins (as well) $200ish

Gloves $200 to 250

Subtotal
    $2689 to 2889

-
    10% Discount
    equals
    $2420 to 2600

Am I spending too much on one thing and not enough on something else ? or is this about right ?.

2. Geez, how long's a piece of string!

All the prices you are quoting are for medium to top end in quality. You don't have to spend nearly that much and some may say you should never have to.

Helmet. Buy a quality helmet that fits you well. There are heaps of features you could want, only you will know if they are what you need. All helmets meet the base standard. You pay for features, name and graphics and, to a certain extent, quality. Some cheap helmets are noisy, heavy etc.. But at this price you must be referring to Arai and Shoei?

Boots. They sound like race boots at that price. Not everyones cup of tea, make sure you buy a boot that will suit your needs. No need for a pure race boot if you do all day/weather touring, never go near a track and potter round. Any good quality boot will offer support and protection, the more track focused tend to do more of both, but may not be all that comfy.

Jacket and Pants. About right, try a few on for fit, you don't want to buy a lemon. Again, you're not at the cheap end, at that price (and if that's your budget), your problem is the choice is so wide.

Ditto gloves.

Factor in a back protector, essential, cost between $100 and $400!

3. i personally went cheaper on pretty much everything via bargain hunting over a few months:

helmet - about $300 (shark)
    boots - $150 (alpine stars on special)
    jacket - $400 (rjays)
    leather pants - $100 (second-hand from garners)
    draggins - 'bout the same as u
    gloves - free from ex-bf who spent over $500 at some store and gave them to him as a giveaway!!
    dry-rider - $100 (2nd hand from fellow netrider)

4. double post.... sorry ...

5. You're spending way too much on everything IMO. If it's your first bike you might not stick with it...

It all depends on how much money you have to blow I guess. Personally, I wouldn't buy both draggins and leather pants, why bother, you can only wear one at a time.

Also, don't mistake cheap gear for low quality. Full-face helmets start at $80, and there's little evidence you get anything more than a fancy paint job with more expensive lids. I paid $120, and it's comfortable and high quality.

$800 to 900 is a fortune for a leather jacket, don't waste your money. I haven't looked into it heaps, but $300-400 will get you something good looking and tough. There's probally cheaper out there though.

I paid $60 for my gloves and they're fantastic, still in new condition after over 2 years and 10'000kms. No way would I pay more than $100 for a pair.

Boots prices depends on the style you buy. I've got no idea what high-tops cost, but a nice pair of tough street low-tops (far more comfortable and practicle than high-tops) can be had for less than $150.

Subtotal
    $790 to 970

That's still way more than I've spent on gear after over 2 years.

Walk into a shop and offer to buy all this gear at once from them and you should be able to negotiate a substantial discount of at least 10%

6. Seems to be a bit of overkill if you ask me, but if you have the money for it, go for it!

7. Drop into a few Cash Converters - sometimes you can get bargains there.

8. Hey, you're an Hornet rider, it's important to look your best :LOL:

But seriously, I agree that unless you're going to be riding hundreds of kays every day, I think you're spending too much. $200 -$250 seems a bit hot for gloves, for example....

Just my$.002 worth....

9. leathers for average days, draggins for hot days. not a bad option if you can afford it.

i've owned a kbc, suomy and shoei and after using the shoei i'd never go back to a cheap lid, you can and do notice the difference.

i agree, $100ish will buy you a very nice pair of gloves, no need to spend $200+.

PJ2 seems to put his safety first (full leathers etc) so he'll probably want tall boots, i'd say spending big dollars on boots is a good investment my alpinestar gps3s are almost stuffed after a year and were $300, i wish i'd spent $100ish more and got a different brand.

-PJ2 since you're keen on safety gear you might want to consider a back protector, they're $200 and good for piece of mind (hopefully more than that in an accident.) i wear one almost all the time, you don't notice it's there but is one more piece of gear to stash away (for some people that's a problem, it isn't for me. anyway have fun shopping.

10. leathers for average days, draggins for hot days. not a bad option if you can afford it.

i've owned a kbc, suomy and shoei and after using the shoei i'd never go back to a cheap lid, you can and do notice the difference.

i agree, $100ish will buy you a very nice pair of gloves, no need to spend $200+.

PJ2 seems to put his safety first (full leathers etc) so he'll probably want tall boots, i'd say spending big dollars on boots is a good investment my alpinestar gps3s are almost stuffed after a year and were $300, i wish i'd spent $100ish more and got a different brand.

-PJ2 since you're keen on safety gear you might want to consider a back protector, they're $200 and good for piece of mind (hopefully more than that in an accident.) i wear one almost all the time, you don't notice it's there but is one more piece of gear to stash away (for some people that's a problem, it isn't for me. anyway have fun shopping.

11. I have a Walden Miller 2 piece suit which is of fairly high quality, replacement cost is about $1500.

Honestly I seldom wear it, mostly I wear a $200 textile jacket because it's more comfortable.

Leathers are good for track days but they are a nuisance most of the rest of the time :)

12. Kols -

Can't agree with you on the lid issue. I've always had higher-end helmets, (Shoeis and most recently a Shark RSF-2 Race.) As a general rule, more expensive lids are lighter, quieter, and most importantly, have much better visor actuation/removal. Their linings hold their shape, the vents actually work, and if it's a higher end Shark, the fog proof visor is actually 100% fog proof.

Get the guy at the shop to give you a demo. Then go ride with a normal visor on a cold day. You'll pay the money.

I'm with Sly. It's your number one piece of gear. I wouldn't go cheap.

OB

13. I spent $100 on boots, there were dearer ones on offer but found their souls too thin as I want to be able to do some mileage on foot in my boots as well as riding so comfort was a huge factor for me. gloves were $45 dri-rider nordics, lid is a $120 avg fits my head the best, I tried on at least 20 different ones ranging from $90 - $750. Jacket was a gift from the old man so dont factor in. before that I was looking at a dri-rider aspen $200.
    also have summerweight gloves (gets around 40deg some days up here so they're just straight leather cost $45. $200 draggins. all up $710. I reccomend neoprene masks $20 (rjays), and a balaclava of some sort for winter, depending where in vic you are.
    I know the city dont get as cold as some parts but I ride all year and winter up here can give us - 4deg some mornings though if that case I usually take the care coldest i will still ride in is 2 deg.
    if you are still inclined to go leathers shop around there are definately cheaper out there than what you have listed. Good luck.

14. PJ2, if you're buying a whole lotta gear, check out...

http://www.flyinbriansdeals.com/

Brian is based in the US and runs an eBay store. Don't pay the price advertised on his site - always email him asking him for his best price.

Cheaper than anywhere local.

15. Toecutter wrote

Amen to that brother. I was on my way into JB Hi-Fi and walked past cash converters. Thought I'd drop in for a look and I found a Spyke two piece race suit that fits me like a glove. Set me back $400!! They thought I was mad paying that much but I guess they didn't know how much it was actually worth :grin:

I think your spending a bit much their on your first lot of gear. I was lucky and got a hand me down leather jacket and gloves. Forked out $140 for a Nitro helmet which saved my scone big time in my off. Granted, it was heavy and noisy, so my next helmet was more expensive.

I know it's not advisable but being strapped for cash I started out with the bare minium, (helmet, GP boots, jacket and gloves) and have slowly upgraded it all to race gear standard over the past year. It's all up to how much your willing to spend.

16. You're probally right, and if you have the disposable cash, a nice helmet is probally the first thing to spend a little extra on, simply because they make a big impact on comfort and fatigue when riding the bike.

As far as helmets go, I think most would agree that you should try lots on and find the most comfortable for you. Don't commit to a certain brand or price range till you've gone and actually tried what's comfortable.
    Remember, this thing is tightly rapped around your head for hours on end, so it better feel good. Personally, I've been very satisfied with cheaper lids, and wouldn't want anything else.

I tried on a whole bunch of helmets, but the deciding factor for me was I wear glasses when riding, so I bought the lid that easily took my glasses underneath (they're very small frames, but few helmets can take glasses of any sort easily).
    I'm getting new glasses on monday, so of course I'll be taking my helmet into the store to make sure my new frames fit :)

17. PJ2, very simple question..

Are you the type who has 'cash' and can afford to buy all the good stuff... or are you the type who has a budget to work on?

Best if you have a budget.. no point spending top dollar for an expensive helmet that doesn't suit you. Walk into a store and try on a couple of things before you decide what you want.. most of the time, you will find that the shortlists are not what you are after..

18. For the most part you get what you pay for.

A $900 jacket should be immaculate top end quality stuff, prolly a dainese... but you can certainly get adequate quality for much much less.

Some folk put down rjays gear, but for $600-$700 ish, you should be able to get two piece leathers with full armour and half decent quality.

Bottom line is really that it's up to you.

... my suggestion is buy a decent helmet, go down market or bargain hunt on the rest and spend the savings on trackdays or skills courses!! Yeah baby!! [img:47:15:6542e6e4ba]http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/evil/1022.gif[/img:6542e6e4ba]

Cheers

Rob

19. G'day,

If you have the money go for it if not have a think.

Oh and Draggins buy two pairs,

$200 for gloves is way too much.

Helmet if it fits and looks the biz then that's the one, don't be guided by prices.

20. The helmet sounds dear depending on what it is. for that I would be looking around for a high end one that was on discount.

Alternatively, you can get some good hlemts in the $300-500 range

jacket and pants also dearer then a lot. I am seriously considering buying off http://www.laroleathers.com.au/. I will go and have a look at these in the nest couple of weeks

Draggisn are what Draggins are. They are hotter then they look, so buy lighter colours, if going the cargos.

Gloves. Sounds dear. You can get good gloves in the $75-150 range.

So you could easily save a few hundred dollars without compremising safety, by doing a bit more homework.