Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is a Good Enough Motorcycle Good Enough?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Sooty, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Reading an article on kneeslider about the 'good enough' revolution of marketing/consumers:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/08/31/is-a-good-enough-motorcycle-good-enough/

It sparked my interest enough to care about what you lot reckon :p

I guess I look for 'good enough' in motorbikes mainly because I'm a dodgy cheap bastard. Ie I like the idea of a dr-z400sm or xr400m because they're good enough at commuting, dirt and twisties = three things I want to do with a motorbike. They're not particularly brilliant in dirt but that's just a change of wheels away. Neither are they good at touring, even with tanks/shield/seats/luggage - but a bit of htfu and I rkn I can go the kilometers.

However I feel there are those among us who go for the absolute best, most suited ride for their intended purposes without a second thought given to a sub-optimal choice.

Discuss.

2. It really depends; some will be happy with a "good enough" bike but feel they need an iPhone/ipod rather than just a basic phone or ordinary mp3 player.

With all the information and easy research you can do now, people are again learning what value is.

3. Im torn, I like technology. My car has an adaptive AWD system, multi link suspension, and that makes a difference on the road everyday.

But with bikes it seems to make more sense to go simple. Gimme a bandit, big engine, simple bike.

4. I'm one of the people looking for such a bike. I will happely take a basic air cooled single or twin in an older "general purpose" chassis design, as long as it's a decent build quality, decent performance and decent price.

Then you can have the fun of modding the sh*t out of thing later :D

5. I don't agree with their definition of "good enough". I have a phone right now that can email, conference and video call, Run administrative tasks on remote servers and a lot of other crap, and I use non of it. Someone might describe these features as sub par and suggest that the phone is good enough for what their doing, but could use improving. Me on the other hand, I use the most obvious features (Call, SMS, Net Browse), and appreciate the way they work. In essence, to me, my phone is superb. It really depends on your needs, no one else.

6. Lots of ways of looking at this.
    Here's one: If you've got the money to have the best of everything, why not? Life is short.

Here's another: In my 4 wheel racing days, there were guys who showed up with horrible pieces of shyte that they stayed up all night modifying and cobbling together with secondhand fasteners, wire and gaffa tape, then thrashed around like maniacs without giving a sh#t whether they won or not; and there were guys who showed up with something straight off the prestige showroom floor complete with support crew and masseur, and were very, very unhappy if they didn't win.
    Who do you think had the most fun?

7. Four unrelated responses:

I've been using this phrase for ages, esp when my cheapo ideas and actions get criticised by people who think you need to spend up! This also informs people's life-style choices and the condescencion one can get from such people who think full-time work and a snazzy career with teh big pay (which theyapparently need) equals being properly mature, or existing? or legitimate? - I don't think they quite know themselves...

The notion applies to gear, whereas you see people on here insisting a newbie spend at least a thousand dollars.

Good enough is relative - my bike is a paradigm of good enough, excellent simple design, only one of everything, kickstart not electric, and I bought in in strong part because of this (it was a big version of the little cheap simple bullet-proof SR I once owned) however...I also bought it because it looks and feels so good, because it plays on my imagination, and for this reason I've since found many impracticalities in it but can't part with it. So while I'm inclined privately to scoff at the guys who spend so much and ride so little, updating to bikes they can never use, whether it be the quickest sports bike or the most prestigious adventure bike, yet it's about passion really. Just need to find some sort of balance between them....

On a side note, the GR650 was voted the best all-rounder when it came out, and at a great price, but nobody bought it for precisley that reason...

8. "Good enough" is a notion that I find applies to motorcycles more than a lot of other things you can buy. That's why bikes like the Ninja 250, GS500, KLR650 etc persevere on with the same engine and basic design that they or their ancestors had 20 years ago and remain popular, while people whinge endlessly about all the high-tech stuff tacked onto the VFR800.

9. As long as it's good enough for the way you ride it, go bananas!

10. "Good enough" is for things I don't care about but need.

A goodenough dishwasher, fridge, mobile phone, house.

Best quality is for stuff I DO care about, motorbike, garage, etc.

11. You make some good points, but you shot yourself in the foot at the end with the GR650 reference. The GR was a sales flop because it was a DOG. It was plagued by problems from Day 1, electrical issues with the stator/charging system, gearbox woes and ferocious vibrations at highway speed. It failed becuase it deserved to fail.

However, your point that "If you build it, they will come." as far as parallel twins is concerned, could well be a good one, given the rise in popularity of "simple" bikes like the Kawa Er series.

On this subject, I can make 2 points.

1. Yes, good enough is ALWAYS good enough, that's why we use that term. The only reason why it ISN'T is because we have been brainwashed by the marketing departments to think that we NEED this year's model that has a different coloured seat, revised dashboard and a poofteenth more horsepower. Read up some of the Pommie mags where they test 10 year old superbikes against the current crop. It's very revealing stuff.

2. For some of us, "settling" for "good enough" has proven to be a good move. In my 40 odd years of driving I've owned all sorts of cars, many of them cars that I thought I HAD to have. For the last 4 and a half years, through budgetary restraints more than anything else, I have "settled" for a 1998 Holden Vectra. Richard Hammond, in his book, "The World's Worst Cars." listed this model as one of his choices.

He couldn't have been more wrong. It's been a great car, smooth, comfortable, fast enough, loaded with features (cruise, etc) and ULTRA reliable. So far I've done over 100000k's in it and it's cost me almost nothing, apart from regular servicing and a couple of minor repairs.

Yes. I'd love a new, fancy car, but my "good enough" Vectra IS good enough.

Oh, and for exactly the same reason, my 15 year old VFR750 is still well and truly good enough.

12. A good enough bike will do the job and you will enjoy it, but if there is a bike that makes you drool and lust for it, a bike that you MUST have (and you can afford it) then why not :LOL:

You could save money for that house, or your super or your retirement and then you could end up dead in a car accident at 30 (and then you'd never know what it was like to ride your dream).

13. +1

And there's nothing wrong with having more than one "good enough" bike. It's like having that spare box of weetbix, more socks than you need and a stockpile of quality tools. Stockpile, stockpile, stockpile. The end is nigh...

:LOL:

14. A decent rider will make up any advantage trick race bred suspension has on the road. Sure, right tool for the job - if you are racing then perhaps a CB250 ain't the prime choice. If it can, then it should.

15. And if you put the "decent rider" on the "trick race bred" suspended bike they would be even better :LOL:

I prefer "more" than good enough.....why compromise?, why stop at "good enough"? (in your own estimation, not any figure or peer opinion).

Bikes are about passion and "the experience" not some rational choice, like "good enough".

16. I sometimes wish i had gone for 'good enough'.

Going upwards in cars or bikes i find there is a compromise in some areas.

There is a great deal more satisfaction for something that is 'good enough' and can handle every scenario. You are never left dissapointed, more so surprised at how well it can blast around a mountain.

Going for 'the best' sometimes means it is brilliant at one thing and crap at everything else. When you ride/drive it outside it's 'brilliant' areas, you soon with you had settled for 'good enough'.

17. Really not liking that s4r are you?

18. I'm trying to. I rode an MV Brute last week and now i'm REALLY struggling to like the S4R. I love the looks and the torque but that's pretty much where it ends.

It was the same with the MV F4 that i had. Brilliant when you rode it hard and purpose built for the track. Crap at everything else. Unfortunately, everything else was what i was doing a lot of the time.

The Firestorm i crashed is a prime example of 'good enough'. It never left me disappointed and i didn't realise how much i loved that bike until i crashed it :cry:

19. That's never about "good enough" though, that's about "designed to
    a purpose". Honda specifically tuned the vtr1000f to be exceptionally
    useable on the road, even at the expense of a small portion of its
    racetrack ability, and they succeeded.

20. They are all bikes built for the road. The cheap one is a jack of all trades, master of none. The others are designed with performance as the priority.

I thought that's what the thread was about? Why some people choose to buy a certain bike over another bike that would do the job just fine.

The VTR1000, MV Agusta F4, Ducati S4R have all been my commuter bikes. Considering they all performed the same duties, that fits in perfectly within this thread.