Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Is a battery required

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by 3lud13, Jun 16, 2015.

1. So my project I been working on last few weeks is close to going for roadworthy wondering if I need to replace battery though, ours only there to keep lights running of engine switched off.
    Battery is stuffed won't hold charge but it's a kick start gonna mainly be used off road just want rego in case.
    Also I am guessing I will need to replace broken left side mirror.
    Bike is a 2000 klr250

2. I just pink slipped my xr650r in that situation. The battery doesn't run the lights.

Edit In NSW, sorry. Still sure it will be ok

I never had a klr250 but I am pretty sure my other xt250 and xl250 of similar vintage never ran their lights when off. That's just unnecessary tech.

3. You aren't allowed to have a 'total loss' electrical system requiring the engine to be running.
    I believe the horn at the minimum has to run off the battery when the bikes not started.

My advice would be to fill the battery up with water, throw it on charge and try to get at-least the minimum amount into it. Some mechanics may be stricter than others, most will tell you what they expect over the phone.
    Otherwise borrow one from another bike or mate.

Mirrors are required on each side of the bike.