Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

is a 1987 TZR250 learner legal in NSW???

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by alexm, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Hey everyone

i am the proud owner of a old TZR250, ive had it for about three months but have not had the time to get my learners yet. i was just browsing the rta website (planning the purchase of my new bike when im fully licensed!!) and noticed that TZR's are listed as a non eligible model. looking at the list, there are a lot of newer, quicker 250's that are learner legal. my question is, do the completely ban a whole model, or do they take into consideration the age of the actual bike etc.

any infomation would be greatly appreciated!!

hope to see you on the road in the near near future

2. Hey again,

ive just pulled out the rego papers, and under "conditions" it is listed as -

does andyone know what the LA stands for? im hopine learner approved.....

fingers crossed, thanks again

3. It's because it's 2-stroke.

2-stroke 250's have more power than is allowed by NSW restrictions on power:weight ratio for learner-legal motorcycles.

That's why the 4-stroke 250's are the quickest learner bikes - they're just under the restriction.
  4. my first bike was a TZR250 and i loved it. but im from victoria so it was legal here ( i think any way lol)

my suggestion is cover it in FZR stickers. then if you get pulled over for the smoke and noise say oil must have leaked into the fuel mixture :p

they are a truely incredible and speedy bike. if i didnt crash mine i swear i would never have sold it.

hopefully there is some clause and it is legal for you, but just take it easy!
  5. I thought RVF/VFR400's were learner legal in NSW?
    I'm pretty positive they're quicker in a straight line than most of the FZR/CBR/ZXR 250's.
  6. This from the RTA web-site

Eligible Motorcycles in the category 0-260ml.
    All models with the exception of:
    Suzuki RGV250
    Kawasaki KR250 (KR-1 and KR1s models)
    Honda NSR250
    Yamaha TZR250
    Aprila RS250
  7. Only the RVF400, but you can buy a 2002 R6 for less so why bother :? Just wait a year on a 250.

Some old two stroke 250's are LAMs legal, like RG250.
    They have more squirt then CBRZXRFZR250, but might not handle as well.
  8. There's also the classic (learner legal) RZ250 stroker with the hugely powerfull RZ350 engine fitted, or just the perfectly identical (not legal) RZ350 with 250 stickers. Definetly the quickest 'learner legal' bikes you can get.

If I was doing my learners again I'd definetly get one.

RVF/VFR400's suck. Haven't ridden one, but why bother- usually around $8000, biggest ripoff ever. There are other cool learner legal 400's too- CB400, XJR400 etc... Which make almost the same power for as little as $3000.

I imagine a Ducati Pantah 600 would be right up there in fast learner legal bikes too, if you can afford one. Definetly most desirable LAM's bike
  9. thanks for the response guys...
    i happened to be on the phone to the rta and i raised the question of having it LAM on the rego papers and label but uneligible on the website...the lady wasnt to sure and is investigating about and getting back to me. ill pass on when i get an answer.
  10. well it seems a 87 model tzr IS learner legal! its power to weight ratio is about as learner extreme as you can get. later models where slightly more powerful, and they are they TZRs that are not learner legal.good news for me!