Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is a 1000 too much for a 1st road bike ??

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Darkness, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Hi all, great reading at this site, so I thought Id ask my 1st (of many im sure) question.

Is a 1000 too much for a 1st road bike ?

I rode dirt bikes a lot as a kid, and now years later im getting the bug again. I a lot old and wiser... well older at least :) so there is no way I would do any of the stupid things I used to.

I know my limitations, and would take it casual and slow till I really got back into it.

But what do you guys think ? is it just too much too soon or .. ?

Looking at a CBR1000f BTW... love the bike :)

Im not a small lad either, 6ft2" and a bit.. and about 105kg..

I think Id be ok with it, but i'd like to here from those with more first hand know how about it.

Thanks for any info..
  2. my bro had a CBR1000F...sold it a couple of months back.He too is 6'2.
    I had the chance to have a little ride.....
    HUGE adrenalin rush!
    Very very powerful...just have to look at the throttle and she's off!
    I know ya think ya will be ok...but in reality, I reckon it would be a bad move to start off on the road on something so torquey.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
  3. Damn, I was kinda looking forward to NOT hearing that :)

Im not above listening to advice from people that know more than I do, so if that is the general idea on it, then I think maybe a 600 or 750 might be in order... would that be closer do you think ?

Bummer, cause I just know in a few months Ill be thinking "shit, wish I got that 1000!" :)
  4. At the end of the day..its your money.
    You know your not experienced!
    Be a real pity to buy a big bike to ride...
    then come off and be injured..out of work,
    not to mention a big dint in ya wallet with bike repairs n all.
    Play it safe..ya can always get a bigger bike once you've gained experience.
    Besides, if your not licensed to ride a bigger bike..your not covered insurance wise either!
  5. I've done it the Q-Ride way.. so can get any size..

But yea Im not a stupid person, so will have to think on it some more.

But on the other side, I know myself, and know I wont be pushing it at all.. so with that in mind I find it hard to not get the bigger one right up.

But as you said, pitty if i come off and wreck it and/or myself.. sooo

grrr Should not have asked :)

6. If you know how to make a bike turn, buy the 1000. A waste of money to start small, unless your licence demands it imho. The throttle goes from 0 to 100% for a reason, and you're smart enough to only use as much of that as you can safely.
  7. if you have to ask the question ........ you already know the answer
  8. Get the thou, youll regret it if you dont :wink:
  9. Too many theoreticals here for a definite answer, but if you buy a smaller bike and keep it for a year and then upgrade, you may well be safer. On the other hand that's a very expensive exercise, and you may not have the choice to do it.

On balance? Buy the bigger bike and back you older caution and life experience. Oh, and watch out for riders on smaller bikes :LOL:
  10. I passed last August. Bought a CB500 for next to nothing and road it until just recently. I've now moved up to a 2005 ZX636R and it's another world altogether. We've recently had some good days in the past month and I'm still nowhere near used to it. I can only imagine how ridiculous a 1000 would be.
  11. I'm 6'3" and 90kg and I ride a gsx-r 600 (2004) and that goes great as well :)

Hell, the GSX-r 750 makes 140hp and weighs only a couple of kilos more than the 600 ;) I'd try getting a test ride of a 04 750 as well :)
  12. Get the 1000. With the available torque you can concentrate on riding.

With 600 I found out to many needs to fiddle around with the clutch/gear etc.
  13. your money
    your choice
    your respsonability
    your consiquences
    your decision

as long as your happy to except what ever happens in the future it doesnt really matter.

me i would go the 1000
  14. Hey it's your choice.
    If you've asked yourself the question then I do believe you've got the correct mindset to approach a bigger bike.

Ever thought of a motard though. You save over 100 kilos so it's light and being a dirt bike it's forgiving on the wallet if you drop it. :)
  15. buy the thou.

1- you decide how fast it goes. 12 months on a 250 wont change that
    2- its a sports tourer. they're substantially less flighty that the pure sports bikes out there and the tendancy will most likely be to use it for it intended purpose
    3- littler bikes LOVE to be revved. this can cause more trouble than a big bike depending on your tastes
    4- you're not a little fella. might aswell buy a bike thats made for people with a bit more meat on them :wink:
    5- thats the bike you want. why piss around on bikes you dont really WANT to ride before getting the one you do? seems pretty silly to me :?

and also, before buying the bike, try a few others on aswell. theres a few really decent sports tourers around that get rave reviews so dont limit yourself to one bike :grin:
  16. Hard to say if its too early or not because everyone is different. Some people definately need to work their
    way up while others are fine on any bike.

I'm 5'6 & half your weight. I got my license 6yrs ago & my first bike was a new 2000 YZF-R1
  17. Buy it. You know how fast you can ride and you can still get into ridiculous amounts of trouble on smaller bikes - it isn't only the amount of power that gets you into trouble; it's the way that the power is delivered.
  18. Buy the bike. Although, even the modern 600/650 would probably be more than enough for most of us.
    But I'd reccommend do a number of other things as as well.
    Book yourself into an Advanced Riding Course (or two, three) then move onto track days to have a blast. I've done Advanced Rider Training with 3 different companies and have enjoyed them all.

You never stop learning.

Buy good protective gear, and wear it, It's no good having the leather pants in the cupboard sliding down the road only in your jacket...as I found out. (You'll need leathers for your track days anyway.)

And enjoy.
  19. If you're a dickhead you should'nt be on a bike, period. If you've got your head well and truly planted on your shoulders then there is no reason you cant hop onto a thou. Bikes only go as fast as the rider wants them too.
  20. Still trying to make more friends? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: