Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is 59,000kms too many kms?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by flashfire, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Hi :)

Am looking at purchasing my very first bike and will be getting a Spada. There is currently one on the market (private seller) within my price range and the colour I want, but it has 58,700kms on the clock.

Is this bad news for me, as a potential buyer?

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but how many kms do bike engines do before they start getting tired?

2. 59000kms is nothing for a spada so long as it is well maintained and has a decent service history.
    Someone I know in Sydney in aus.motorcycles had one that had done 140,000 kms before he blew up the engine at eastern creek doing a wrong gearshift.
    (Hi Bigiain)
  3. no it isnt a problem as long as it has been looked after.

all this crap about bikes being worn out at 25,000kms or there abouts is total crap, look after a bike and it will look after you

(unless you buy a late model honda - 1999 onwards, because the electrics are useless)
  4. I cannot see a problem with that km reading, As long as it has been service regularly then it should last for ages.
  5. Thanks guys :) I will see if the owner has a service history and go from there.

Hey, cos I'm new to all this, is there a REVS type thing that people can check to make sure a motorcycle is not stolen or encumbered?
  6. Hey flash, REVS do bike checks as well - the same mob as do the cars I believe.
  7. The problem with 250's wearing out at 25K is no one ever services them... most people on restrictions only do 1000-3000Km on their 250... so they sell it to the next buyer and so on... no one even bothers to check the oil level!!
  8. Not just the engine, which might well be OK.
    By this time suspension, steering head and swingarm bearings, sprockets (maybe gearbox) brakes etc. should have been looked at. If they've been let go, it gets expensive.
  9. The only problem with buying a bike with high k's is when you come to sell it on.

Make sure it's a good price when you buy and be prepared to sell it cheap, or else a long wait when you come to sell, as nearly everybody wants something with looow mileage.
  10. Unfortunately, there aren't too many people out there who think like you. When I was selling a ZZR1100, I was asking about $4,500, which was at the lower end of the price range for that particular model at the time. It had 90,000 km on the clock. However, whenever people calling about the bike heard this, they muttered stuff like too many kays, at the end of its servicable life, etc.. What they were looking for was a bike that was in brand new condition, a few hundred kays on the clock and a price tag to match that of a wreck.

I'd tip that these same fellows would ask top dollar if it were their bike that was being sold.

The ZZR is still going strong. I heard from someone who rides with the fellow who bought it that it's got nearly 140,000 km up and doesn't look like stopping.
  11. I agree with the comments here. How many ks are on a bike is not important. It's how well it's been looked after that counts. The only thing that I would add tto that is that this miss-conception works for you in that people with high Ks bikes will be asking lower prices than they should. A careful examination of the service history and and check over by a qualified mechanic for that brand should net you a good bike at an excellant price.
  12. They run fine, unless you let an English mother f@#ker play with it! And from what ive been told you also should not lend your electronics to them ether

My 93 CBR6 just past the 59k mark not that long ago and it still runs fine!
  13. I know - insane! I've done 20,000km, and I'm only half-way through my restricted period. Sucks to be me. :cry: On the upside, At least I know my bike is well looked-after. :LOL:
  14. Difficult to say what is fair price with a 250. They are all overpriced due to the nature of the market.

If the price is right and the basics are in good condition (tyres, chain, sprockets, no smoke, quiet engine, bearings etc.) go for it.

The problem with many older 250's is not so much that people don't service them but instead they just aren't prepared to "fully" service and maintain them. The optional items just aren't done.

If you can get it for a low price, get it well serviced straight away and you should have no troubles.
  15. As mentioned earlier, it's how the K's are put on, you could get a 7yr old 250 with 20000 on the clock, 5 different learner owners and never seen an oil change or a service. Or you could get a bike with high klics and regular service's, my rides only 6 months old, it's my daily commuter, it's covered over 11800 k's, it's had 2 services, and has the fairings off about every 6 weeks. When I sell the bike it will only be 12 months old and will have around 23000 on the clock.

The difference will be they were good klicks..

Nobby's Law...If you need it, and rely on it, look after it......

Good luck in your search mate.
  16. action motorcycles has a 1999 hayabusa for $9k
    it has 145,000 on it
    they were done up and down the freeway from ballarat to melbourne , it was serviced regulary and has only had 3 minor jobs done on it in its life
    shocker (go spongy on hayabussa'), brake pads and rear clliper i think it was .

it flys and i mean "f" & flysssssssssssssssssssssss , and it feels like its as strong as a bike with 10,000 on the clock .

if its looked after it doesnt matter , i know this is the far end of the example , but if i had a lazy 9K laying around i would be down there tommorrow.
  17. You picked the vtr1000 over that hayabusa Glen cos it had done too many ks for your liking.
  18. My point exactly.
    It doesn't matter how well the bike has been looked after, you'll still face problems when it comes to selling it when you're ready to move on.
  19. i took the vtr for 3 reasons .
    1. my level of skill to own a hayabussa are not up to what is needed ., these things are rockets and killing machines , a lot of people buy them own them 6 months and realise they cant handle them and trade them in.
    I am not saying the VTR isnt , but thebaussa is in a league of its own .

2. insurance was going to be $1100 a year rating 1

3. Other factors : i do around 40,000km per year and because i took out a loan for the bike , i would be keeping it for at least 3-5 yrs , if i did the same with the bussa i would be well over 300,000-350,000 km's
    at least with the VTR it wont be as high , also the other factors was servicing , efi in line 4 (computerss ) compared to carby VTR .

k's did have a part of it , but i new the previous owner and read a lot about the bike etc on the hayabusa forum
    they are my dream bike , and as i said if i had the 9k i would be down there today getting it .
  20. I personally think that the kms on all the old 250s are bs anyway..

my first bike was a 1992 zzr250 with 40,000kms - apparently less then 4000 kms per year since it was made. I reckon a bike like that could easily do 100,000kms...

but I dont think the engines are the problem, like suspension starts to get yuk after a few years.