Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is 57,000km high for a 1990 Honda CBR250RR?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by SaneForest, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

I'm new here, thought I'd jump in and ask a question and get myself into the forums. The forum topic says it all :)

Is 57,000km a lot of km for a bike that old or will it go for a lot longer?

This would be my first bike purchase ever, so I'm not sure what to look for. Google was a bit helpful, making mention of bikes that get 100,000km in a lifetime but nothing about the 250rr.

This is the exact bike for those who are interested Honda CBR250RR

Cheers,

Sane

2. If it's a grey import that figure doesn't mean anything at all. If you can get some idea of service history, that at least should give you some guide as to useage and condition.

3. Thanks hornet. The ad says serviced every 5000km. I haven't looked at the bike yet to see if the guy has a log book of the services done. I will get back to you on that later.

So in general, I should look at the service history rather than KM travelled?

4. Yes, because, not only, as Paul noted, does the displayed mileage on a grey import means nothing but it's a 21 year old grey import at that. That's plenty of time for a clock change, a disconnected speedo or even just rolling over the odo back to zero.

5. Okay, I guess all I can do is find out all I can about it when I look at it.

Any giveaways that might indicate if the odo has rolled over or been rolled back? Or anything that might indicate that the bike isn't worth buying?

6. general wear on the bike internals and probably some on the externals. at 57k its probably fair to say it hasn't been messed with recently.

7. If anything its 150,000 i guarantee its been around the clock

8. Cheers Lilley.

Even at 150,000, is it worth considering if it's been kept well?

9. It'd want to be kept very, very well, even then I'd say it is getting a bit on the tired side.

The other important consideration of course is price.

10. They're asking $3,900. In all honesty, I don't really know what I should be paying for a bike. I've just been comparing with other bikes I've looked at.

I've seen some 2000 model bikes her with way less KM's and a good verifiable service history for about $200 less. So I'd say it's a bit high from what I've seen so far.

11. It's a lot of kms for a 250

::end of line

12. A 2000 model with 20000kms is probably 120000kms as well.

13. To answer your question. "only to the person selling it"
    I may run for another fifty faultlessly. It may start to get a bad vibe up in another ten. It could drop it's top end.

And when you go to sell it it will have more K's on it.
    And someone else will be on here asking if 62,000k's is too much for a cbr250. And then saying but he only wants 3G for it.

14. Or he could just run it for 50000kms and sell it as a pristine example with 7000kms.

15. I don't think I'd pay four figures for any 21 year old learner bike TBH.

16. Given the piston speed of those, and the rpm they're ridden at, the pistons have probably travelled a similar distance to an Apollo mission.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Why don't you just buy a new one with ABS for 6k ride away?

18. Thanks for all the feedback everybody. It's all been really useful. I have learned a lot in one day. I decided not to buy this bike as it seems it's hard to know whats really gone on with it. Not worth all the trouble.

shakenbake, I wanted to buy a nice new black kawi ninja 250R (I love the green ninjas, but they didn't have one). Dealer sold it just before I got the cash together :( Next lot of ninjas is at least a couple of months away.

A new Suzuki Intruder would be nice also, they have one of those sitting in the same dealership. But...

I found a 2007 Suzuki Intruder VL250, $3,800, had a look at it today. Has no scratches on the tank or anywhere really, so I'm thinking it hasn't been dropped. Owned by an older person and ridden only occasionally judging by the 11,000 km on the odometer. On first impressions it seems to be very well taken care of.

I'm still working out what to look for in a used bike though, so it's a little tough making the decision on what to buy. Getting there though :)

Advice always welcome (y)

19. Intruder vs Ninja??? Have you thought about what kind of bike you really want???
    & surely there's more than one Kawasaki dealer in Tasmania!!

20. $3.9k is definitely too much for it.

I don't know why people assume it's been around the clock - jump on a bike sales site and you'll see heaps of 20 year old bikes with just 40,000km. Bikes are once-a-month toys for a lot of people.