Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is 40000ks too many?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by gtr21, May 11, 2012.

1. Hey guys just curious on opinions if 40,000ks is too many on a 250r ninja,
    One that has been quite well looked after and riden daily as commuter
    At what point is it simply too many ks?

2. how many owners? Full service history and well looked after? If servicing is carried out regularly and 'properly' 40000 should be no sweat.
  3. I'll let this slide because your new, but if you have a look around the net there is plenty of information available

The typical response is to be more concerned with how the bike has been ridden and looked after. A bike that has been thrashed for 10,000km it can have the same amount of wear then a lazy 50,000km well maintained example.

If i was you i would get the bike inspected professionally if you have no mechanical knowledge, their prices are pretty good and will save you money in the long run.
  4. Ok thank you, I have knowledge regarding cars but bikes is a new world for me, I have been researching the net and learning non stop for a few months but there's so much mis leading and opposite views that it's hard to get a straight answer, figured a forum is better.
    It has been serviced regularly (every 5k apparently) and is a daily commuter. 2nd owner I believe.
  5. What's the key things I should look for?
    I'll look into getting a professional to look it over too.
  6. Look in the articles section if the forum. there is a great write up on inspecting a bike your looking at.
  7. If they have proof of this fine. If not they are lying. No matter how friendly they are.

But agree with others, if it's been well looked after then should be no prob. Just make sure the price is reflective of the k's done.
  8. Ok thanks, appreciate the help.
  9. Yeah there is some misleading information, i wouldn't be taking to heart answers you find on yahoo etc etc, just have a probe around here the question is asked nearly every week. If you have some knowledge about cars and what to look for most of that can be transferred onto a bike, but i would still get someone that's into bikes and better yet a professional with you, you might find someone here willing to come along with you if they live close by.

The best thing to do would be to take it for a test ride, unfortunately because if the large amount of thefts that happen, you will find most owners will tell you to f off. :p
  10. Doesn't necessarily apply to a ninja 250, but Irena just sold her gixxer with 96k on it.

There was nothing wrong with it at all, still pulled hard and handled great. Zero breakdowns.
  11. depends on the amount of cylinders (more cylinders=less wear)

and if valves have been adjusted, oil changed etc.

250's may not last too long

my klx 250 blew up with 55,000km but i didn't adjust valves too much
    thats a single cylinder

get a bigger bike fool ;)
  12. For a non new bike/car, always always always get a professional mechanic to look it over. Doing this will save you money in the long run.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. if i was buying (i am )

to check internal parts will cost me big $ and a PITA (with mechanic), + i can do it myself, and other than that there is no way to check

my bike was putting out nice power almost until i smashed the piston

what does the mechanic do, any monkeys here?
  14. 250r ninjas are inline twins correct? Don't worry about number of cylinders its usually irrelevant. Cylinders have nothing to do with the wear of the engine, it all has to do with how it was designed, a cb250rr high revving inline 4 is going to wear out a hell of a lot quicker then a cb250rs single. Likewise a 600cc tit rever 4 will not out last a low revving torque twin of equivalent size. Engines should wear out so much they become unridable/undrivable long before they "blow up", that's a sign of horrible maintenance/abuse.

But none of this is relevant, how the bike as been used varies and how its been serviced/maintained varies. As everyone here is say get a professional to look at it and you will have no problems.

If you want to check it your self because your stubborn or something or reasonable confident.
    Check fluids are there leaks?
    Check for horrible sounds
    Does it use oil or coolant?
    Does it look tidy? If anything looks negligent then most likely something more serious will be as well.
    Does it rev freely or cough and splutter?
    Does it start easily or require some "assistance"
    Is the owner willing to talk and upfront about questions

the list goes on, the is a guide on here somewhere worth reading

EDIT here it is https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=52843#.T6zaOr9msy4
  15. thanx ampto, takin it all onboard and will see how i go.
    the fact that so many k's simply puts fear in mind to me suggests i should keep looking.
    but im always looking for a bargain :)
    thanx again for the help..
  16. Is this the red one in Qld? Seems too cheap to be true. Worth a lookthough.
  17. modern bike engines can last quite alot longer than you think. my daytona 675 has almost 50000km on it and it doesnt miss a beat. if you plan to ride alot, as in commute daily etc, maybe look for one with less kms on it, there are a billion 250 ninjas on the market. if you are planning to keep it for a year to learn or just for weekend blasts, buy a well maintained high mileage bike and get yourself a bargain.
  18. I put about 40,000 km on my GPX 250 in around 2 years, most of it highway long distance riding and she performed admirably. As others have said, as long as there's a good service histrory and you're getting it cheap you'll probably do OK. Keep in mind that just like with cars as your K's start getting high it's likely you'll have to start investing in more significant mechanical repairs and replacements. Saving a grand now might cost you a grand and a half in a year when you have replace things like cam chain tensioners, wheel bearings, sprockets and chain, etc. Otherwise if it all checks out you should be good.

Oh, and being a 250 with that many K's on it, I'd be looking for evidence of drop damage or replacement of parts that have been damaged. It's likely it may have suffered damage in the past. So long as it's been repaired well and the frame or forks aren't stuffed you should be OK.
  19. Yeh mate that's the one. Seems worth a look
  20. Combination of both for me, I'm looking for one I can ride to work half the week and also just to get me thru til I get opens early next year then I'll upgrade.

very good point, saving now could cost more later and for the sake of 1k prob not worth it, as I said earlier high k's does scare me a little so I'll keep looking