Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Irish newbie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by billyjc, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Hey guys and gals

Looking at getting another bike, i had a VTR250 and drove it to work for a year and a bit. Straight through the Melbourne winter..... god it was fun! i loved it. But boss said he would give me a raise if i sold the bike as he was " worried about me!". So i sold it and got a shitty car ( in the hope than when i got the raise i could get a better bike, see im clever).

Two years later i just got the raise, the stingy bastard, and now i want to play again so a 1970 to 1980 cb750 is on the cards hopefully for $2000 to 2500 as a old resto find. ( i could be dreaming here they seem pretty rare at this price).

Ill completely rebuild the engine and mech bits using the excellent Hackaweek CB750 Youtube rebuild, check it out its pretty comprehensive, and the factory manual and then ill never sell it no matter what the wife says. So the dream is to document the whole rebuild on the site, not half of it like alot of blogs i find online and then reap the glory of an awesome set of wheels.

Initially im more worried about things to look for when buying a bike that doesnt run, im pretty mechanically minded but any tips would be appreciated. Im interested in knowing what factors would make you walk away from a bike in a shed. If you cant see it running how do you test its condition/ assess its worth.

Yeah lots of questions & dreams there, for now hello everybody seems like a very knowledgeable crew you got cant wait to get involved. Bill

2. Howdy Bill, welcome & good luck with the project :)

3. Welcome to Nutrider! :wacky:

It sounds like a fun project. Don't forget to put a set of cartridge emulators into the forks, so it will handle half way decently. The old style damper rod forks it has wouldn't handle particularly well. If a bike isn't running, I'd offer sweet fcuk-all for it. Good luck! :)