Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Irish Extreme Sport - Hurling

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, Dec 7, 2011.

1. It's a bit like AFL played on a soccer field but with clubs and a baseball.
    Cracked describes it as follows

2. Yup. I find the idolisation of all things Irish a bit puzzling myself, but I reckon Hurling definitely deserves wider coverage as a televised sport :twisted:. That and motorcycle road racing of course.
  3. Craziness.
    I also love Gaelic Football, but not the "international rules" so much...
  4. Egg and Spoon: Deathmatch edition.

I wonder how many broken wrists and smashed faces there has been....
  5. Yep international rules is bollocks, an attempt at getting two different games with athletes trained in another sport to compete. It cant work unless people play it as their main sport. It would be good to watch if it was actually a sport anyone but AFL players and gaelic football players actually played. I understad the appeal of having an international representative team for AFL, but it just doesn't work.

As for hurling, I've watched a few games, and enjoyed it for its novelty factor but its very hard to follow a season here. I can't really get into a sport unless I've followed the whole story of a season. It seems like a crazy game , but I don't think its any crazier than AFL or rugby and a whole lot less crazy than boxing or ultimate fighting.
  6. Really? from those few short clips it looks like it could have the a similar potential to ice hockey. Not saying it lives up to the potential, just that it's there.
  7. #7 smileedude, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Ice hockeys a good one, very nutty. But americans look at afl and rugby and think we are all loonys. All in the eye of the beholder. I find ice hockey and grid iron bizarre but the point I was making was games played here are seen as odd by those who don't understand them.

Although IMO any game where there is potential for accidental injury is a lot less nutty then games where hurting the opponent is the goal of the game. Still I'm a big fan of nutty sports.