Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

IR protests

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by roundabout, Jul 1, 2005.

1. ok don’t get me wrong, I was at the protest in Melbourne and fully support the union. What I want to know is how many of those protesting (or those who just don’t agree with howard’s IR reforms) voted for howard in the last election (or the three before). Especially those ****s in the Tasmanian CFMEU. Seems a tad bit hypocritical to me.

2. I'll just sit back with a bowl of popcorn for this one :D .

3. hehe midnight.

Yeah had a similar argument with a guy at work yesterday (yeah I was at work, servers were smoking and whatnot). Basically he was upset over the reforms and felt "betrayed" because he had voted for Howard. :rollseyes:

Seriously, you get what you vote for. We were silly enough to hand the government both house WHAT DID YOU EXPECT! It's all cyclic though and I'm sure the current swing to the right will be countered by a swing to the left at a later date.

4. I don't see what all the fuss is about I have only ever been a union member what I absolutely had to be. I have never worked anywhere that they have made a positive difference. All a union has ever done is cost me money what with compulsory stop work meetings in union shops.

Anyone who thinks the "unfair dismissal rule" the Labour Party introduce has been a success is living in a fools paradise.

Not everyone deceives to be un-sackable.

5. I don't fully understand what the laws are designed to do, so I can't comment too much... but just because the government has control of parliament does that mean that they will start pushing through evil sadistic legislation? I mean, there must be some economic merit to what they are trying to achieve?

6. No-one who voted for the Coalition should now be upset by these reforms. They have been refused passage in the Senate 5 times in the last year, and were certainly canvassed widely during the election campaign.
    The Union spectre of the greedy boss, just waiting to find a reason to sack a worker comes straight out of the 30's, but it is surely time to wind back the idiocy of an employer firing a proven thief and then being subject to fines for "unfair dismissal" AND being forced to re-hire the thief. That's just crazy, they don't even do that in communist countries.

7. Ther is. You can finally SACK a bludging low life maggot of a leech employee if they don't perform etc. About time this policy gets pushed through.

Oh and those whinning unions yesterday I hope some of them get sued for there actions as some of them were not allowed to stop work. I hope the boss's take these scum to the cleaners. That Union Maggot who just got out of jail the other month for all the crap he did in Melbourne a few years ago should be a wake call to the other militent scum, YOUR TIME HAS COME NUMBNUTS. Move over and let modern civilisation and mechonology through. Friggan Unions are parasites that hold back progress. And what do they have to whine about. The 80K they get paid to do bugger all. ppfffttt. These maggots have had it too good for too long.

Viva La Industrial Reform 8)

Cheers 8)

8. argh ye argh!

tried to listen to a debate on jjj last night about it to find out what its actually about.. to no avail..

9. midnight... send the popcorn over this way :D

10. fair enough, but don't forget there is a lot the union does, and has done, for everyone over the many many years that is paid for by union members.

on the issue of unfair dismissal, its to prevent against exactly what is says, unfair, not that you can't make people redundant (especially those who steal or harass colleagues etc). unfair dismissal laws ensure that workers are treated fairly in what is a fairly important aspect of their lives (ie. work) and that they have someone to go to if they are made redundant unfairly (the industrial relations commission etc).

11. Most employers would realise that if you sack people who are productive, or treat them like shit so they quit and go elsewhere, then that costs you money - so you try and keep your employees happy. But having worked with some very useless pricks in my time, I can see how being able to sack them lets you keep a clean house... Hell if my boss want's to sack me because I don't help his business, then power to him. I'd want to sack me if I was my boss :LOL:

so what other downsides does this legislation have?

12.  Top
  13. From what I understand it means my boss can fire me tomorrow (or Monday? :p) and I've got no recourse.

I've signed my own agreement, and I do my best to keep up my end of the bargain. Sure, here and there I make a mistake or am a little lax with the rules, but I get my job done.

I want to know what I can do when my employer breaks the terms of the contract? Surely being paid correctly and on-time is something I'm entitled to - who sacks my boss? :p

14. Well we know now why the Government has been happy for unemployment to be at a still relativley high level.

There will be so many people out there that will just have no leverage when it comes to individual workplace agreements.

But on the upside I guess we will be able to compete with India when it comes to wages sometime in the future

15.  Top
  16. I'm with DaZZA Scum unions,

Bloody 40 hr week, overtime, basic wage etc etc , nothing but bad come from these guys SCUM I tell you ,

Why I have 3 kids , that can't be made to work because of these scum.

Why shouldn't my 6 yr old be able to earn a living , instead of being made to feel ashamed that he can't be apart of the productivity this country needs.

Why shouldn't the waiter starve if he doesn't get tips,
    Bring back sweat shops, That'll get this country back on it's feet.

I do have a couple of questions though

1) do we get to see polies sign Individual contracts
    2) All the freebies the pollies got education etc, are they paying these fees back.
    3) Why is it that companies can combine themselves in various industry groups and combine forces and the rest of us have to do things as individuals.,

17. Whoah, where do you work? Keep employees happy! recognise productive workers!

I suppose I just chose the wrong industry. Having worked for several laboratories in major pharmaceutical companies I noticed that the prevailing attitude amongst the upper echelon is that anyone lower down the chain is a potential threat to their position. In this case they actively persecute the more productive and talented workers.

This naturally leads to the situation where all you have left is a large amount of docile, non-threatening, dead wood. How do situations like Pan Pharmaceuticals come into being? By sacking or driving out anyone who has the guts to speak out about the illegal cr@p going on.

Sure, I have got nothing against the idea of getting rid of workers who are blatantly incompetent but I doubt that the legislation is purely aimed at that. Undermining worker conditions and pay is the primary focus of this legislation - nothing more.

18. :applause: :applause: :applause:

19. Give me a break. Unemployment has been at a 30 year low under this government. Perhaps you would like to spacewarp back to the late eighties when unemployment was at a record high with a record high interest rate s well.

As for the India wage jibe. Crap will never happen and anyone being serious knows it will never happen.

Cheers 8)

20. sorry I didn't take into account proffessions which have licences to print money :LOL: that's a fair point you make though.