Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

IPL = meh ???

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Mickyb V9, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Is a promising concept. - I like it !

2. Totally meh !!!

0 vote(s)
  1. So whats the verdict sports-fans ???

+1 for meh !
  2. What is IPL? :-s
  3. And the problem exists that the news feeds are all full of the results of this competition and it is hard to tell which are real cricket matches and which are IPL...
  4. I like the team with the gold helmets and gold bands on there uniforms :cool: ,they look very BLING BLING ,exept that look like they should be playing Polo. :LOL:
  5. 20/20 it's a bit lame, too short for a interesting match....just looks like a backyard cricket game......very one sided from the one match i have watch.....time difference hasn't helped improve my interest in it much.

meh :)
  6. Dribble. But then, I gave up on cricket a looooong time ago, so my opinion prolly isn't worth too much.

What worries me is... what happens when, as is bound to happen, it clashes with Sunday night motorsport?
  7. contrived crap
  8. Where's the "Any cricket match = Meh" option.
  9. I find one day cricket pretty pointless, so 20:20 I see as just dumb.

Then the fact it's no longer has nationalistic links make the IPL totally pointless for me.

I don't think I'll ever watch a match, let alone pay to do so.
  10. I reckon it's a cack!! Its sooooo over the top Indian it's not funny. I'm never quite sure why people think new formats of the game will be to the detriment of tests (real cricket)?? The Ashes will continue, let the IPL be what it is - a smackathon marketed to new cricket fans, the ones that cant handle 5 days in front of the telly (or pitch).
  11. i found the couple of matches i watched to be incredibly entertaining. It's a way for players to showcase their skills they might not otherwise be predisposed to do in other forms of the game (aka hit ball as hard as possible).
    Watching aussie v aussie was really good too with some interesting battles and tactics. DIdn't really care what teams were what or who were playing.

I still like tests, and one-dayers, but 20-20 is something probably marketed at people like me, and for what it's worth, it's an entertaining couple of hours.
  12. :WStupid:
  13. [​IMG]
  14. :WStupid:
  15. :WStupid:
  16. The reaction I am seeing reminds me very much of the reaction when Packer started World Series Cricket in the 70's. Some cricket fans said it was stupid, not real cricket, will destroy the game blah blah blah.

Thirty years later one day matches are a legitimate competition dragging in the fans. What people need to remember is that this is no longer sport, it is a multi-million dollar business. If IPL puts bums on seats it will survive.

Some people (like me) cannot understand how you can play a game for 5 days, have one team score more than the other and call it a draw.
  17. Good point.
    It should be called a stalemate since there was no full result.
  18. +1

But I do like the idea of taking the international rivalry out of the game.
  19. ...not to mention some hot girls shaking thier booties.