Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ipad 3G or ipad wifi + pocket modem ? Thoughts on speed vs price vs coverage !

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by bennjamin, Sep 26, 2011.

1. hi all

Im after buying a ipad 1/2 for dad for xmas - either a 3g or wifi + pocket wifi modem setup , pending discussion. It works out roughly the same price for a 3g ipad vs a non-3g+wifi modem.

My dad will use it up and down the east coast of AU , while away on road trips etc.

My questions are :-

1. Apart from initial setup - what gives the better value plans (in general) ?
    2.What offers better average speed / better coverage ?

My options are a ipad 1 refurbed , 3g or wifi. Its easiest as a 3g so its "all in one" - but i worry about coverage and or actual speed (3g on my iPhone , for example is SLOW)
    I am looking at what both telstra , optus and vodafone offer....

thoughts ! Thanks !
  2. I got the wifi one and bought a wireless wifi modem for a number of reasons:

1) You can hook up a number of devices to the wifi modem easily (including your mobile etc)
    2) Cost of data downloads (at the time anyway) were cheaper and you could prepay a certain amount of data that gives you up to a year to use it which for me was better than having to go through a certain amount of data in 30 days
    3) The wifi modems are small and easy to carry around and hold a charge for ages
    4) There are heaps of wifi spots around and TBH even with my iPhone that is "all in one" as you say I find that I don't even use 200MB a month as I can pretty much find a wifi network almost everywhere.
  3. I got the iPad 2 3G on a telstra plan, $150 for 12 gb that can be used up to a year, more than enough and u can't beat telstra in speed
  4. +1. I have an iPad 1, with the same 12gb for 12 months. Works very well.