Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Introduction (learner on a VTR250)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by A boy named Sue, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Hello,

I have been lurking here for a few months and in that time have got my L's through HART at StIves in Sydney, bought a brand new 2009 VTR250, got my L's, commuted to work regularly in all weather, filtered at two specific intersections (wide lanes, very stationary traffic) and gernerally had a lot of fun! I've only clocked up 800kms on the bike but that has been because of a lot of work travel.

I finally bought a bike after moving back to Sydney and wanting something smaller than my station wagon. I did a bit of cycle touring as a kid (great ocean road, putty road, musselbrook-Bathurst through sofala) but I stopped all of that when I left Sydney. Getting a bike has always been in the back of my mind but I could never justify the cost. I'm now in a position where I can sell my car and just have the bike so that is what will happen (once I get my Ps, next time they run a test at HART and I am in town).

I'm also lucky that I work with quite a few motorcycle riders and we've done a few lunch runs down the local suburban "twisitys".

Thanks for those who've taken the time to post the info threads on riders' tips forum.

2. Welcome Sue :LOL:

I must say I admire anyone who's done pushbike touring on the Putty; I learned to ride motorcycles on it back in the 70s when it was a real cowboy road, but today you'd really need your wits about you on a pushie.....

3. Welcome....bet I can't get that song out of my head for ages now...

4. welcome... nice bike, awesome song too hehe :D

5. yeah, well life ain't easy:-s

...and it was 15 years ago.

6. Welcome to our little corner of the interweb Sue.

7. Just got my P-plates, 12 months to decide on the upgrade bike ;).

Thanks to all who posted on the new rider tips. My clutch control is rubbish but I got through the MOST based on balance and head position. Went too early on the braking but got it right on the second go (about 1.5m (to the back of the bike) at +25kph). Now to learn how to change gears correctly every time and then back to HART for a dynamics course.

8. The handling dynamics is a good course, lots of fun and you'll learn a fair bit. Grats on P's