Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Introducing golgy!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by golgy, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Howdy all!

Just a quick one to introduce myself to these forums, just so you can put a little bit more of a person behind the noobish questions that i'm bound to ask!

I'm 27, from Melbourne - excitedly counting down the days to my Learner weekend at HART at the end of the month. I've heard heaps about riding from interstate friends and the guys that I work with, so i've finally decided to take that step closer to the thrill and give it a go myself.

Keen to learn, and you'll more than likely see a few "help!" kinda posts!

2. We're good at those sorts of questions; welcome to Netrider :).
  3. Golgy sounds like a nasty Illness. Where did you get it from?
  4. Follow-on from IRC.. I figure i've used it for about 12 years so far, why bother changing now? :)
  5. golgy smells but apparently has a hot sister.

he will now post pics of her in this thread.

no really.
  6. Well, if he's gonna do that he'd better get his post count up ASAP. :wink:

What bike are you planning on starting with Golgy?
  7. I'm considering an Across ('zuki GSX250F). I'm more about the learning and not so much about the perceived wang factor. I'm going for whats comfortable and nimble enough to have some fun with..

Chairman's SZR660 also looks tempting, but I've not the post count to PM them yet ;) Though the comment about being good for those of shorter stature is a point to think about - i'm 6'1", so about 185cm. Not sure how well I'd fit.
  8. I've never been a fan of the Across, it always looked odd to me. When I check out some picks on the net now though it looks alright. I think it's the dead straight line of the rear fairing.

I'm a fan of bikini fairings and the 660 looks nice. Not so nice price though I imagine.
  9. I'm just looking for something that's forgiving and will teach me a lot about riding. The price range is about right, and there's a couple around the place to look at.
  10. welcome golgy,

My first bike was an across, good little learner bike.

I did my learners in the pooring rain, hope you have nicer weather.
  11. Thanks!

The across has been recommended to me, so i'll have a good look around to see if i can jump on one. I sure hope the weather is good too - it seems to have been raining during the week and fine on the weekends, so here's hoping that trend continues!
  12. Welcome to Netrider!

Don't be afraid of doing your Learners in the wet - I did both days of my two-day HART course in the rain. If nothing more, learning to ride in the wet means that from the get go you realise that rain really isn't that scary afterall. :)

good luck!
  13. Thanks heaps :)
  14. Yeah I'd agree, but I can't remember the last time my underware was that wet! While I was trying to listen to the instructor all I could think about was the water that kept running down the tank of the little CB into my lap! I got soaked! :LOL: its funny now!
  15. Golgy, what's the story with your name??

That's gotta be close to being the most unusual NR nick this year.

Welcome dude. :)
  16. Welcome mate !
  17. Haha - okay okay, i'll bite and explain..

All those years ago when IRC first started, I had a variety of handles. In order to keep some sort of consistency I decided to pick one, stick with it, and use most of my online presence with that one nickname. Saves on effort, y'know.

I was deliberating this point with a friend at the time, who got frustrated with my inability to choose something, so opened up the nearest book ( it was a bible ) to a random page and pointed at a word. Golgotha. Aramaic for 'a place for a skull' or similar. Place where jesus was crucified. Of course, my angsty teen self thought this was rather cool, shorted it due to the fact that handles could only be a certain number of characters and there you go.

Happy? :cheeky:
  18. Get thee over to the "how'd you get your knick name" thread, add your explanation... and I reckon you might just have the most unusual one!

19. Welcome golgy.

OK. Hands up who were really interested in how he got his nickname or who were just keeping him talking to get his posts up so that he could post a pic of his sister. :LOL:
  20. I'm going to murder snail/yaleman.