Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by misspeach, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Hi, well I am 33 and just got my Ls as my husband has given me the key to his Suzuki gs500. I have been on it 3 times (and dropped it )
    I really want to ride but I am a buddle of nerves.
    Any advice for a 33year old wuss would be great.8-[ thanks

2. Congrats in taking the step and riding on 2 wheels. Start by only riding in your immediate surrounding area on the back streets and slowly but steadily broaden your horizon.
  3. Give yourself time, there is a lot to take in during the learning stages, but if I can do it, so can you! Welcome to the group, Im sure you will be riding confidently in no time.
  4. resmen speaketh great wisdom......
  5. +1

And one more tip - if you go out early in the morning say on a Sunday, everyone is still sleepy bobos and you pretty much have the roads to yourself.
  6. welcome misspeach, dosnt your husband know how to ride? couldnt he show u?
  7. Thanks for the kind words. I have been around home but its the next step that gets me but i am sure it will come with time.
    Goz as you asked we only have one bike at the moment .For me to go he stays with the 3 kids, and i don’t want to let on how nerves i am.
    I really need to know at some point i will be able to go for that really long ride. Should it just come easy , or do i have work at it.
    well 2mrow i will have no kids its the only day all at school or day care, so i will let you know how it goes8-[
  8. what city/state are u from?
  9. Misspeach, take the time to "over learn" the controls. You want to get to the point where you don't have to think about what a gear change is or putting on an indicator or going for the brake etc. BEFORE you start mixing it with traffic.

This will leave much more brain cpu for managing traffic and enjoying the ride.

10. Perhaps you go too slow that why you drop the bike? I don't mean ask you to go fast, but try a bit more faster it easy to control, look where you turn to, not to look down.

Just go around the back street with minimum traffic.
  11. Dont give up.......IT WILL GET EASIER :) :)

Have fun and takecare misspeach.
  12. welcome misspeach; +1 all of the above & just try to have fun bikes are easier to handle if your not tense & stiff.
  13. hey, every one i went out on the friday and had a good ride.
    I was out for 1.5 hrs ( just around where i live) had lots of fun.
    Have been reading a lot . Thanks for the link.
    I now make sure my head is always up, and look where i aim to be. and sofar no more wide corners.
    Thanks for taking the time to post a reply.