Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Intro and first bike choice (VIC) - long

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by disk_1, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Hello netrider community

Firstly i will introduce myself. My name is Thomas and I am 20yrs old and I am currently at university studying Bachelor of Business Information Systems / Bachelor of Business with 3years left of the 5 year course :(

I have a few questions about 2 stroke learner bikes and 4 stroke learner bikes in respects to daily commuter viability, maintanence and maintanence costs. I have experience with a wide variety of bikes including 2 strokes and understand the power delivery associated with the engine type and the slight user unfriendlyness. (I have used search)

Questions are as follows:

1) Would a rs250 be a sensible option for a daily commuter given that i do about 8000 k's per year in my car? (which i will not have) - i have read different responses from different people. I am not concerned about the safety aspect due to my history. More concerned about it being suitable for commuting. Fouling of plugs?, seizures?, general biatch to live with? etc.

2) Are maintanence costs similar to 250cc sport 4's are more expensive? - could someone with experience give me a rough figure based on my yearly travel of 8000k's. I am slightly capable mechanically wise and from what i have read some work could be done by myself if relatively easy. Top end rebuilds etc.

3) How often out of the norm do they have exceptional problems - excluding top end rebuilds and general maintance? - ie. other motor problems and associated costs

4) I am 6 foot 3 inches and 75kg's. Would an rs250 be suitable?

other info: i know the rs250 requires high maintanence which it would undoubtably recieve . I understand it needing top up of high quality oil regulary and top end rebuilds every 10000 - 20000 k's. I know i have asked a few questions and i apologise but i have not found much reliable information from 2 stroke experienced people.

thankyou in advance (ps. the best forum i have found :) )

2. i can't offer any advice but gday

3. I cant give you exact figures but there is no reason that a sports 250 like a CBR2500RR cannot run for well over 60,000kms between rebuilds if it is serviced reguarly and looked after.

OTOH when it does need to be rebuilt it will cost significantly more than a sport 2 stroke to rebuild.

Personally I'd look at something like a VTR250 or ZZR250 or GPX250 which will be cheaper to run and cheaper to service than either.

At the end of the day these are learner bikes and you are looking for a commuter... commuters are supposed to be cheap to run and reliable.

The RS250 is neither and the CBR250RR is reliable but not particuarly cheap to run (for a 250).

4. Obviously you're looking for a more sporty solution if considering an NSR250/CBR250RR. Your riding history stands you in good stead, but always remember that its the rider and not the bike that dictates the ability to "keep up".

Bikes like the GPX250, ZZR250, and VTR250 are all excellent choices for a mix of long term reliable commuting duty. I had a ZZR250 which I sold with 48000kms on the clock and the motor was as reliable and running as well as the day I got it with 23000kms on the clock. The motor never even hinted at an ounce of trouble and towards the end there I was wringing it constantly when touring around the hills.

It was comfortable as for commuting, for two-up work for the few times I did that, was able to happily accept gear strapped on the back, and only the limited ground clearance of the exhaust pipes prevented truly stupid levels of lean on the road, which can always be addressed by upping the rear spring preload a bit anyway.

Ultimately though it's up to you and what you would like to dream about, vs what is 90% as good sporting-wise, will do everything that you've stated you want it to do, and really by the time that you are ready to graduate to a larger bike still won't likely be exploiting the full sporting potential of.

It's the age of dillemna of the new rider. Dreams vs reality.