Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Interstate repaired write off's?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by deafwish, Oct 21, 2006.

  1. G'day all.
    I'm seriously considering buying a repaired write off from NSW and having it brought down to Melbourne for me to register and use.
    Obviously the bike is currently unregistered.
    What I want to know is:
    If I get the seller to have a RWC (NSW Blue Slip?)will that be enough for Vic Roads to say whether it's up to standard again for road use?
    I don't want to buy it, have it shipped to Melb' and then realise it needs heaps more $$ to make it road worthy.
    I'm sure some of you guys have bought a repaired bike from interstate and I'm hoping you can give me some advice on what I should ask the seller to provide me.

  2. If its a repairable right off then how could it get a road worthy certificate?
  3. Umm, he said repaired write-off, not repairable write-off.

    I would definitely want to see a RWC before shipment, and I'd phone the tester as well. I'd also ring Vic Roads to check their opinion.

    But personally, like any repaired car, I'd be very wary of a repaired write-off. Do you have the bike's history, nature of damage, that sort of stuff? A straightened bent frame would be very bad.
  4. Correct, the bike has been repaired.
    It was a drop to the right hand side and destroyed the tank, tail, radiator guard and handlebars. It was cosmetic only.
    It had crash knobs on, so didn't even grind down the engine cases.
    Most work has been done at a bike shop.
  5. write off can mean that the repairs will cost the insurance coumpany more than a replacement. therefore it is a writeoff to the insurance company.
  6. Anyone else have any advice that might help me, pleeeeeease?
    Daz. :wink:
  7. Probably not what you want to hear but give VicRoads a all tomorrow and play twenty questions in regard to registering an interstate or unregistered vehicle.

    One thing to keep in mind is if it needs a VIV or whatever the NSW equivalent is.
  8. Written off vehicle register (WOVR):

    "A WOVR records a written-off vehicle’s identifiers and specific information about the damage to the vehicle. Also recorded is whether the vehicle is a statutory write-off, in which case it cannot be re-registered, or a repairable write-off, in which case the vehicle may be repaired for re-registration. The WOVR information assists vehicle identity inspectors in assessing whether a vehicle being inspected for registration is in fact the re-built wreck, or a rebirthed stolen vehicle."

    I'd read that site - seems to have some info.
  9. Ask them to register it, pay the extra $$ and then just ship it down and change the rego over to Vic