Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Interstate registered vehicle...

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Mr Messy, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Hey guys...
    As most know ive moved up to QLD for work.
    In saying that I still have my NSW licence and will until i am settled in a house up here rather then something of a halfway house to tide me over for a couple months...

Now, i drove up my old boys sillycar (celica) for lack of anything else to bring up, which is of course NSW registered and plated.
    Reading the 'rules' up here states that garaging a car in QLD for more then 14 days requires you to transfer it to QLD registration (or at least, thats my interpretation of THIS).
    Perhaps im wrong since i have yet to set myself up as a QLD resident in any way other then to rent a property which is under the premise of 'im here for work and going home in my time off!'.

As i am still licenced in NSW and all my 'home' addresses are in NSW, am i running a risk of being fined by driving around a NSW plated car up here for a few months before getting myself settled in??? Or does none of the above apply since i dont actually 'live' here as yet?
  2. Hi Messy, I lived and worked in Cairns for almost a year, got pulled over once for a random (in the car) and was asked about Vic licence and reg, told plod home was Victoria , and I was only in QLD for around a year and would be heading back south after that. Never had a drama with it, also managed to pick up a couple of camera fines for low km speeds, again no issue.

And mate, Gladstone is full of itinerant workers. I don't think you will have an issue.
  3. Onya mate ;).
    Didnt think it would be an issue whilst home is still NSW, but thought to ask.