Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Interstate Offences

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by ROOSTER, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Having had the privilege of visiting Victoria for the GP got pinged outside Orbost on the way home. Does anyone know what is the story with the points. Are NSW and Victoria linked ? Apart from this it was a bloody great weekend as usual. :evil: :twisted: :x ](*,) :biker:

2. yes they are linked....
  3. Ok so do i have to wear the Green Plates while driving in Victoria?? NSW now has 3 years of provisional Licence. The first year is a red p plate as normal with a 90km/h limit and 4 points.

Green P's are the next two years. However they have a 100km/h limit and 7 points. After this you move up to your full licence with a 110km/h and 12 points.

However considering Victoria does not have the green P system do i or don't i have to abide by the green P rules?? If i don't then am i considered a unrestricted driver or provisional driver in victoria.

4. the only state thats not on the national data base is WA

but they will still get ahold of your correct details
  5. if you hold that states license you must comply with what they require.....

for example i got my p 17 in queensland and was legally allowed to drive in victoria, as i held a current qld license, so yes as far as i know you must comply with whatever your drivering restrictions are to that state you are registered in (mind you this is now going back (f*^k) 9 years *gup* how time flys)
  6. You have to display the plates because it's a condtition of your licence. For the record, Vic also has 3 years on P's. It's been that way here since about 1990 or something. It's just that Vic doesn't add in the bullshit speed restriction because it was considered to be dangerous.
  7. Not sure how closely the states are linked. I got pinged for speeding in Adelaide a couple of years ago (I've got a Victorian licence). Got the fine but never got the demerit point.
  8. This was covered some time ago. I wrote away to both the NSW RTA and to Vicroads seeking clarification regarding interstate offences.

As far as I could determine from the not-so-informative responses from both orgs, you get the monetary penalty that's appropriate to that state's offence. Eg. $125 fine for exceeding speed limit between 0-10 km/h. Here it's 1 demerit point. But that's where I couldn't get a definitive answer - whether the NSW rider in Vic got the Vic's version of the demerit point, or the NSW's version, or none at all. RTA and Vicroads information was conflicting.

Suffice it to say, when I asked about double demerit points in NSW, Vicroads suggested that a Victorian rider in NSW would only get the Vic version for that offence.

When I asked about an offence that didn't exist in Victoria, they couldn't tell me. I think that what may happen is that you'd merely cop the monetary penalty.

As for NSW riders on P plates in Vic, they don't have to do 90 km/h. They can do 100 km/h like other P platers can do here. However, in NSW, I suspect that a Victorian visitor would have to do 90 km/h. I just wonder how the NSW copper who pings you would treat it if you claimed that you weren't aware of NSW's unique laws.
  9. As an addendum, this is one area that glaringly needs to be looked at on a national basis. A few years ago, a heap of public servants got together to thrash out a set of "National Road Rules".

They settled on a set, but that's as far as it got. Each state went away and implented, or continued to run its own set of rules. The speeding fines/demerit points situation is a typical example. The licensing ages, unique laws regarding U turns, NSW's muffler labelling laws are all typical examples of how there is no national uniformity.

And we're not likely to see it, either. Not while there are egos driving policy.

And I have to wonder why there are federal government departments such as the ATSB. Other than looking after airspace regulations, what purpose does it serve other than to perhaps enforce ADRs (which become redundant once the vehicle is registered) and to gather statistics on road crashes.

In an ideal world we would not have states. Rather, have one department that looks after vehicle rego, a national police force, uniform laws, fines, etc. Abolish the various states' road authorities, set up a national database system (perhaps not based on Victoria Police's LEAP system).

Of course, this'd cost squillions.....

I wonder what they were thinking when the states/territories were constituted back when there were only a million or so people in the country...