Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Intersection rant

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by licensed, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Hey,

There is an intersection outside Coorparoo SHS in Brisbane and i seem to run into trouble quite alot at this intersection. About three times now, i've nearly been run up the arse by inconsiderate motorists.

Intersection Description: There are three lanes from the outbound direction going through the intersection. The left lane is straight through, the middle lane is a combination of straight through and right turn, and the right hand lane is right turn only.

My normal route through this intersection is to make a right turn but to stay in the middle lane because i need to take the immediate left turn after I clear the intersection, and this is where the problem occurs.

I think my image should aid my description quite well.

All the near misses i have faced have occured the same way. The lights at the intersection have been green for straight through and turning right and I have been travelling along in the middle lane, put on my indicators to let the cage behind me know my intention to turn, and then the right hand turn signal goes yellow before im close to the intersection.

I have to come to a complete stop at the intersection because the right hand turn is a shocker, severe asphalt rutting (you can see it on google earth) and its tight anyway, i really hate taking that corner in my car, let alone when im on the bike. My bike bounces me through the corner and my bike shakes. The motorist behind me wants to travel straight through on their green light, however they are somewhat blocked from changing into the left lane by other inconsiderate cages that won't let them merge.

What do they do? They drive past me in my own lane about 1mm from my left leg without slowing down whatsoever. It's happened 3 times to me. The first time i was in the right hand wheel track and realised later that i probably encouraged the cager to pass me in my own lane. The second and third times i was in the middle of the lane and they did it anyway. :oops:

I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do. I wouldn't be surprised if a somewhat serious accident occurs at that intersection to a rider sometime in the future.
  2. Hrm.. Some suggestions:
    * indicate a bit sooner than usual before you get near needing to slow down. If they can't merge with an extra 5-10 metres then they shouldn't be driving..
    * park in the middle of the lane or left hand side OR
    * park in the rightmost lane, left wheel track and get out in front of the car in the left lane (either as you take off or creep forward into the other lane when you see a car has stopped to turn right perhaps)

Technically you shouldn't change lanes going around a corner, but if you do it while the car is stationary it might the safest option. e.g. using the car as a traffic block and then stealing poll position.

I guess it's situations like this that re-enforce the need for keeping in first gear at lights so you can take off if you need to
  3. Or take another route to avoid that dodgy intersection altogether might be the best approach? An extra few minutes commute and safety trumpt the bad route and hospital visit.. :grin:
  4. That junction is a mess. From the looks of it, you can turn right from either of the two outer lanes and also go straight on from the left of the two outer lanes. Is that correct?

Sitting stationary in a lane that has a green arrow is just asking to be hit from behind (even though it is not your fault).
  5. If you're sure that you're going to be trapped by the red arrow give the numpties behind you plenty of time to notice you by approaching REALLY slow. Once there, maximise your lane presence at pole position by putting the back wheel in the left wheel track and the front in the right ie hog the whole bloody lane while allowing them to get a good look at your flashing indicators.

Although I do like the alternate route idea and am inclined to +1.

The long and convoluted action would be to lobby the local council/roads authority and point out the flaws and dangers of the intersection. Contact the local member, even better if they're a rider, and get them on board.
  6. Thanks for the responses and tips :)
  7. Two options as i see it, and it would be good to know what bike your on and you're riding ability. But I'll give my advise from the point of view of what I'd do.

This is the lessor option, but if i was going to use the middle lane to turn from, as i was approaching I'd be using the mirrors to bring the car behind me up close enough to use a shield from the traffic. I don't like it and only do it if i have no other option. In this instance I'd end up in the left hand wheel track and have even on accasion backed the bike up to cut off the angle of the car pulling out around me. Works a treat, but the downside is it pisses off the car behind me, so they are more likely to do something stoopid, also if they get rear ended from the one behind them I'm going to cop it too.

For this reason, i would never stop my bike on an angle across a lane. If I'm going to get rear-ended I'd prefer it to be straight on where i may have a chance of staying upright and minimising injury. Being crossed up can mean impact into the legs etc.

My preferred option is to go around the line up in the right hand lane and stop in front of them, that way I'm fully protected. I don't care if it's forward of the line or anything like that, and i don't care if the cagers get upset. I'd much prefer a chat with a cop than a chat with an medic. It does mean being able to launch off the line in good time to cross to the left. But if you have an understanding of apexing a corner then it's pretty straight forward.

I understand the issue with the ruts and the loose gravel, and if they're bad enough then this isn't going to be an option because you wont be able to maintain control. My suggestion is to go there on the weekend when the traffic levels are lower, park the bike, and go and have a good look at the intersection and see if you can find a decent line through it. Give it a couple of practise runs while your there.