Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

International Transport Forum Workshop on Motorcycle Safety

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by twistngo, Jun 25, 2008.

1. This was held recently.

If anyone pays attention it might work out OK.

“Motorcycles must be fully integrated into the transport system and transport policies†was one of the main messages from the participants.

Better motorcycle rider training was described is a key counter-measure; this means developing a tiered approach to motorcycle training which builds upon existing standards, focusing on risk awareness and risk avoidance and an understanding of the limits of rider/motorcycle capacities.

As it didn't conclude that speeding is the main problem we can expect it to be ignored here.
  2. One day there will be a reduction in cynicism in Australian motorcycling, and I'm laying bets it will be before the end of this year.

As has been reported elsewhere, I was invited to represent Australian riders at this OECD-run event in Norway. I went there armed with input from the state organisations that make up the Australian Motorcycle Council (including MRA Vic). The 90 participants were legislators, researchers, industry reps (including Ray Newland from the FCAI) and rider reps. There were 10 rider reps in total from the whole OECD, so I think it's pretty cool that the AMC was on the list.

The Australian Government was also represented. Enforcement barely received a mention as a road safety initiative. I'll be presenting a full report at the AMC's annual conference in Sydney in a few weeks, and there will be more information out after that.

There will also be a report to the International Transport Forum, of which Minister Albanese is a member. The AMC will back this up with our own presentation to Albanese.

Shaun Lennard, Chairman, Australian Motorcycle Council