Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

International road Toll.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Day, Jan 22, 2009.

1. As in some recent threads there has been some discussion and conjecture as to what is going on in other countries and who has higher statistical tolls than Australia, I felt I would add this to assist in the discussion. It is a breakdown on international road tolls and related facts. I hope it helps.

It also has a breakdown of State tolls too.

2. Interesting that the road toll is often inversely proportional to the population density of most regions.

Brings into question as to what the impact of emergency response times on the road death toll is.
  3. Interesting.

I just had a quick look at the data. It appears that based on all three measured criteria Germany with its higher speed Autobahns and generally higher freeway speeds has a lower road toll than us.

As does the UK which people are saying aren't as anal on freeway speed limits as they are here.

So, where are the "savings" being made?
  4. Amazing that since they brought in speed limits in the NT that the accident rate went up.
  5. I had the same thought, but in some posts people have raised the NT as an example with their previously higher speed limits, and their toll is far higher than ours.

I wonder if the points raised by Flux is a major factor in this. Population density? Sounds feasible. Response time by emergency services could have a lot to do with it.
  6. But the majority of people in Australia live in major centres. Although something, I don't think that's the answer.

We're just crap at driving :(

What it does highlight is that with an anal speed focus, we still have higher death rates than other countries.

I believe a lot of this is to do with attitude. When I first moved here, my initial observation was that for a country with an apparent laid back attitude, I'd never seen so many uptight people. No one would let you out of side turnings, they'd hoot before you'd have a chance to breath. Even in shopping centre car parks, where you leaving free's up a space for them, no one would stop and let you out.

Go to the UK (and Germany), where the traffic is so shite that if you don't cooperate with people, no one gets anywhere.
  7. Fatigue is the other big factor, as I mentioned in the other thread. Big distances, longer times on the road, more fatigue, higher deaths.
  8. Add France to that (same as Aus) and Italy (lower) which have 130km/hr speed limits on their freeways and much more reasonable speed limits posted on their by-roads.

They are also much more leniently enforced.
  9. Looking at the stats for Victoria alone they're still higher than Germany.

Germany is larger than Victoria and more densely populated, of course. But it too has "long distances" when you compare land mass.

eg. 357,000km v 227,000 for Victoria.

And given that most of them seem to occur in or around Melbourne then can distance and fatigue be a significant factor?

I'd love to see similar stats for crashes, both casualty and non-casualty ones, if the data was available. That would really give us a clearer picture. Basing it on how many people die is only looking at a worst case scenario.

In fact, it's probably a blessing for some that they did die, rather than being a quadriplegic, having a brain injury or stuck on assisted life support for god knows how long.
  10. I'm not trying to disagree for the sake of it, but I really don't think that is the influence either. Most people live in the cities and either drive or ride to their workplace. Lots of people live within few km's of where they work and where they don't, the distance is comparable with any other major city. Melbourne is a big city and a large sprawl, but London, Birmingham, Manchester are all similar messes.

Due to the absurd house prices in the UK, commutes of 50/60/70 miles are not uncommon. People will drive in from Basingstoke, Winchester, Southampton to London and its surrounds.

My sister used to have a 2hr train ride into the city and the carriage was full of the same people, day in, day out.

But accidents rarely happen on freeways, so comparing freeway speed limits isn't the way forward.

Urban speed limits are much the same in Europe as to Australia. In some cases they are far lower.

When I was in the UK in November, I drove back to the airport from Dorset and was nose to tail with thousands of other people, 85mph all the way. If there had been an accident, it would have been horrible, but everyone is pointing the same way and separated by a barrier, so accidents on motorways are comparatively rare. But when they happen, then it's often more than one person who dies.
  11. From memory, when JJJ's Hack program was talking about the plans to introduce speed limits and introduce a demerit point system, the safety report which made the recommendations to the government reported that less than 2% of road fatalities in the NT occur at >130kph.

The vast majority of their crashes were due to drink driving. With no demerit point system, the only penalty for drink driving was a fine and a slap on the wrist. :?

I can try to dig up the articles from back then, mebbe.
  12. Thanks for posting that article Day! Where was that when i searching for all those Germany and Australia facts yesterday!!!
  13. Hmmm, I was principly comparing between states of Australia cejay, in my statements. A very definite trend there for sparsely populated regions where emergency access will take significant times and road fatigue is a major issue, and within the relatively homogenous Australian environment we can see that what I'm saying seems to ring true.

With respect to international comparisons, I agree. It is somewhat odd though that a fair number of countries with equal or lower road tolls than Australia have higher speed limits that are less rigorously enforced.

Speed is not the demon it's made out to be.

I do agree that in general Australian drivers are of an impatient sort. I personally put a lot of that down to history. Australia has never been densely populated, even in urban regions, until quite recently. I believe that there is a fairly strong undercurrent of entitlement that goes on in the Australian psyche of why the heck should I have to fight to get hold of a parking spot, or live with congested roads, in a country that's so big with so few people in it. The thing is though, you get out of town and it is still just like that. Uncrowded, vast open areas.

Seems to me that the average Aussie citizen deeply resents the rat-race that they seem to be unjustifiably made to endure, and that leads to frustration and a poor attitude on the road. Get out to a country town and see people smiling while driving and generally being pleasant.

Just a thought.
  14. I think it's a significant effect (although not the only factor). I seem to recall hearing that, in the case of major trauma, the first 60 minutes are the critical time as far as survival and recovery outcomes are concerned. As there are plenty of roads in Australia where there's a good chance that a crash victim won't even be found in that time, let alone receive qualified help, it would be no surprise that our death rate per crash was higher.

I think cejay's got a point though. Most people here drive no further than the average Brit. He's actually fairly conservative with his UK commuting distances. 100 miles each way is certainly not unheard of.

In my own experience, WAers at least have a shitty, selfish attitude and crap situational awareness. When they crash, it's bugger all to do with speed and everything to do with being utterly unqualified to be in charge of a motor vehicle and uninterested in learning.
  15. My pleasure. I don't agree with drawing comparisons with other countries due to so many factors of cause and effect, but I felt that since the information was available and that I found it, I should share it.
  16. Yeah i realise the comparison was flawed on many accounts ie emergency response times, condition and age of vehicles, weather conditions etc but figured it was interesting still.
  17. I hadn't though of it like that. I think you might have a point there.
  18. I wonder what effect the age and quality of the 'average' vehicle driven in each country has. Also hard to compare would be road design, there are some really shit designs around Melb. The new Derrimut Rd upgrade in Tarneit is one example. Victoria relies on large vehicles mainly to haul goods long distances as we have a very inefficient rail system, more trucks surely wouldn't help our road toll.

I'm certainly not trying to say the the over vigilant speed enforcement in Victoria isn't to blame, but perhaps there are other reasons also.
  19. It's the same over there.
  20. Lots of rubbish road design in the UK tho they aint as obsessed with lights as we are. Lots of trucks too. Here my young lady comments on the trucks we saw in Wales. (And there is a lot of rubbish about Torchwood on the same page0