Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC International motorcycle license on restricted license

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by walkinshaw, Dec 26, 2014.

  1. Hi guys, did a search but couldn't find an answer for this question. I just did my motorcycle license test so now have a 'motorcycle licence' however with the "E" restrictions for 3 years (victoria). Am I able to obtain a 'full' international motorcycle license or will I be held to the same restrictions on the international license or will I not be able to get one at all? I'm going to switzerland in july to do some hiking and would like to rent a bike for a week or so to do some riding as well, just wondering if I can do that on my restricted motorcycle license. Cheers

  2. There is no such thing as a 'full' or 'restricted' international licence. It is called an IDP (international driving permit), which is simply a translation of your Victorian driver’s licence. You will also need an IDP if you plan on renting a vehicle.

    Previous post from Trundler which answers your Q's:

    Edit - didn't notice date of OP but information is still relevant. For the new poster, you can get an IDP with your provisional licence. There is nowhere for including any restrictions on the IDP. An IDP is not a licence in itself, nor anything fancy like a card, it's just a basic paper booklet with translations and your photo pasted in the back. It has simple categories:

    A/ Motorcycles (with/without sidecar, or three wheeler, to 400kg)
    B/ Cars (to 8 seats, 3.5GVM, light trailer)
    C/ Rigid truck (>3.5GVM, light trailer)
    D/ Bus (>8 seats, light trailer)
    E/ B, C, or D with a heavy trailer (ie. semi-trailer/combination)

    So you'll just have A stamped, there's nowhere to add restrictions. So in practice you can ride what you want anywhere (bar Australia), regardless of what your licence says. That also allows someone with a LR to drive a HR, or a HC to drive an MC. But in reality:

    a/ Most countries will just want to see your actual licence, and the IDP is invalid without it anyway. They may try to cause grief over conditions (I had no problems in Europe) even though they really can't do anything about them.

    b/ Your travel insurance in Australia will be invalid if you don't follow it exactly. The capacity restrictions (like <250cc etc.) if listed are obvious to follow, the messy part is 'licenced to drive'. You could argue you IDP makes you licenced to drive that bike in India - I'd want it in writing before considering myself covered.

    c/ The insurance on the bike may or may not cover you depending on how the policy is written. You may also encounter problems if you cause an accident somewhere along the line. You're opening up a poorly defined can of worms.

    In short, you'll be fine if you don't stack. Then you might find yourself in a world of pain.

    Link: https://netrider.net.au/threads/international-driving-permit-idp.78412/

    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. You must be licensed to ride the motorcycle in your license country, for which you intend to hire. In practicality, it's unlikely they'll know/recognise that you are restricted, so likely won't be an issue. But if they do, then they'll limit you to a LAMS bike (if they have them). You may also wish to consider you insurance position, as if you require it they will probably recognise you have a restricted license and use that to deny your claim.
    You do not need an IDP for driving in Switzerland - your VIC license is accepted. Many of the large rental providers require an IDP for drivers outside the EU. I doubt that bike rental places will, but of course check with your intended hiring company first before you leave. An IDP is hard, and expensive to get, when you are already there.
  4. Thanks for the replies guys, the issue of insurance is not one that I had considered. Even if I could get away with hiring the bike on the IDP I don't think I could take the risk of not being covered by the hirer's insurance, or worse, my own travel insurance for medical expenses - if the worst should happen over there. Considering the last two times I've rented a vehicle I've needed to make a claim (first hitting a kangaroo in QLD, second hitting a deer in the US) insurance is not something I would take a chance on.
  5. I have rented cars (not bikes) in USA, UK, and Italy with just my VIC license, FWIW. Mind you, never stacked, so no idea where I would have stood with insurance.
  6. I have been researching this quite extensively just recently as I will be in the same position as you in the future on my P's but not on full motorcycle license I asked 1cover specifically about a similar situation to yours accept im looking at riding in Asian Countries they replied with.

    As per policy wording, there is a provision to be covered medically, providing you’re following local road rules and adhered to them. A motorcycle helmet and appropriate safety gear is being worn, even If it is not one of the requirements in South East Asia.
    Please note you will not be covered for any damages to motorbike itself nor personal liability while riding.

    Licensing issue
    PDS states that you need to hold an Australian Motorcycle license, it does not explicitly exclude provisional licenses. In saying that you need to comply with the rules and regulation under your Australian provisional licence. This means whatever rules that dictate your provisional licence in Australian must be adhered to while in South East Asia (engine size, no passengers, any other limitations being under provisional license).

    It is customer’s responsibility to check whether their license is valid in these countries.

    General exclusions
    1. Minimise your expenses.
    2. Act in responsible way.

    So you must be riding legally in that country always wear a helmet even if that country doesn't require you to wear one and follow the same rules your provisional / restricted license has in Australia while riding overseas and you should be fine.

    I also spoke to a few travel insurance places and they don't cover damage to the bike but you should be able to get some sort of Insurance for that overseas if you are worried.

    This from the RACV website which issues the International Drivers Permit, even if its not required I would still get one just incase you need to claim through travel insurance better to have than not have.

    How does an International Driving Permit work?
    • Your IDP carries your identification details in nine languages (English, Spanish, Japanese, Greek, German, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, French) in case you need to communicate with foreign authorities
    • Is valid for 12 months from the date of issue unless the holder's domestic driving licence expires or is revoked in the meantime. IDPs cannot be post-dated under any circumstances
    • It is not a stand-alone document or substitute for a valid driving licence - it must be carried with your current domestic driving licence at all times
    • It in no way diminishes the obligation of the holder to conform strictly to the laws and regulations of the countries you visit
    • Can only be issued to people over 18 years of age with a valid Australian licence (includes P plate)
    • Cannot be issued to learner driver permit holders
  7. You also need a different (more expensive) travel insurance to be covered to ride a bike. Risky activities or something like that.
  8. Regardless if your on your P's you will be issued an International Drivers Permit I know in the countries I want to ride in Cambodia and Vietnam you take the International Drivers Permit to the office and it gets converted to a Cambodia or Vietnamese License which allows you to ride on the roads legally therefore adhering to the law and satisfying the travel insurance companies.

    But if you are looking at a particular travel insurance company I would be emailing them and asking them specific questions to get specific answers so you have something in writing just in case something does happen they cant try weasel there way out of it I would not take a verbal confirmation over the phone with a consultant as satisfactory.
  9. This is from Travel Insurance Direct they charge no extra if you plan on riding a motorcycle and the majority of other Travel Insurance companies don't either.

    Travel insurance for Motorcycle Riding

    The TID policy covers you if you are on a motorcycle tour organised by a tour operator or if you organised a touring holiday on your own or with friends. You are also covered if you are just hiring one for the day or are a passenger on a motorcycle. We don’t charge extra if you want to ride a motorcycle on your trip.

    When we refer to motorcycles, we also mean mopeds, scooters and any other motorised bike.

    What’s covered?

    • Overseas medical expenses
    • Loss, theft or damage to your luggage and personal effects
    • Accidental Death benefit
    • Total Permanent Disability benefit

    • You must be licenced in Australia to ride the same class of motorcycle you wish to ride overseas. You will also need to hold a valid licence in the country/countries where you are riding.
    • You must wear a helmet even if it is not required in the country you are riding in.. If you are planning to ride a motorcycle when you are away, plan on taking your helmet in case there isn’t one available there.
    • Follow the road rules of that country.
    • If you are a passenger on a motorcycle then you need to wear a helmet. You do not need to be licenced as a driver.
    You can check with the consulate of the country you are travelling to before you go to confirm licencing requirements.

    The smarttraveller website has information about local travel and advice on overseas road safety. Just look up the country you are travelling to for the 'local travel' advice.

    What’s not covered?

    • racing on a motorcycle;
    • professional sports, ie, you are receiving a wage, salary or appearance fee for training for motorcycle riding;
    • intentionally exposing yourself to a needless risk or not taking reasonable care, except in an attempt to save a human life;
    • Personal Liability- damage you cause to someone’s property or if you injure someone while riding a motorcycle or as a passenger.
    • Informative Informative x 3