Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

intermittent blue smoke

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by NathansIntruder, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Hi guys,
    One day I will start my 87 Kawasaki VN1500 and no smoke. Couple of days later I get smoke on start up and revving... whats going on and can I fix it myself? (on a budget) im guessing rings and or valve stem seals but thats as far as I can go with my limited knowledge...
    TIA Nathan

2. if it continuously blows smoke under acceleration, it's rings.

if you go at say, highway speed, then decelerate for a few seconds and get back on the gas.. and get a puff of smoke, then it's valve stem seals.

if it is only noticed on startup, is more likely valves, but there will be smoke at one of the other 2 times.

if you can, get someone to follow you and look for smoke straight from the exhaust, rather than trying to see after it has blown around a bit.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. thankyou! my problem is im an r-dater and i cant ride her yet.. wanted to get it sorted before i get off the r-date. the r stands for ridiculous
  4. A broken ring can also cause intermittent smoke as it moves around the cylinder.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1