Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

intermittant rough idling

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by cheky, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Hi Guys, I have a 1999 TLR 1000. i had the injectors cleaned and overhauled about 3 months ago. Yesterday i started the bike to go to work as usual. As i got to the end of the street the bike was at idle (1500 rpm) and then it drops to 1000rpm and then goes back up to 1500 i take off and open her up for about 5 seconds and then its ok again.
    It has been remapped again just to make sure but every now and then it still does it. It has me stumped cause when i bring it to the shop its not doing it so they cant find a problem with it... Any suggestions?

2. Does it have a throttle position sensor?
    If so disconnect the battery for 10 minutes then reconnect, then turn on the ignition without starting it, open the throttle fully then back again then start your bike normally.
    This "resets" you computer to read the throttle position properly, having failed that make sure your throttle idle bodies are balanced.
  3. What about a spark plug not firing?
  4. thanks smee. I had the throttle balance prior but when i bring the bike back on sat i will pass on this info as i dont think they rebalanced the throttles after putting in the injectors. Is there anything else that might make it idle rough?
  5. hey geeth, if it was one spark plug not firing wouldnt it happen all the time not just once every couple of weeks? my bike is a V Twin so i would notice if it is running on one cyclinder which when its rough it still has plenty of go.
  6. I was just throwing the idea around. Guess I should have made that a little more clear.
  7. As with all FI bikes you need to make sure all the electrical coneectors are good.

My bike was stopping for no obvious reason recently. I eventually discovered the earth terminal on the battery was a little loose.

Also check vacuum lines and fuel lines.

After you've pulled all the conectors appart and put them back together, if the problem still exists then it could be any number of things.

The crank angle sensor comes to mind, but maybe try a model specific forum for a better idea.

Let us know how you go.