Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Interminable wait for RiderSafe course (SA)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by bronkowitz, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Greetings all!

I've never even sat on a bike before but I've been looking at trying it out as a car-alternative for a bit of "getting from A to B" riding around the city/suburbs.

I booked into the required basic RiderSafe course the other day and unfortunately I've been told that I have to wait 2.5 months! :eek: Maybe this is a subtle way to promote safety: make people wait so long that they lose interest in riding!?!

Ah well, I suppose it does give me more time to look around at helmets, gear, etc. From everything I've read and looked at, I'm pretty much set on getting a VTR250 to start with. Until then all I can do is gaze with envy at bikes cruising the streets...

2. 2½ months eh? That's harsh. Will make a nice xmas present for yourself :)
  3. a lot of the more popular locations in sydney have a waiting list that long. when i booked in for my P's a few months back i was told by the RTA that locations like St Ives and Botany weren't even taking bookings as the 'list had just gotten too long' :eek:
  4. The wait for the Advanced Rider Safe training course is no better.... just booked in a couple days back and now will have to wait til early December.

But I suppose the extra practice ain't gonna hurt.
  5. The problem with SA is there's only 2 locations to do the courses, and with such small group's and an ever-increasing popularity for motorcycles, makes the wait a long one.

Use this time to learn as much as you can about bikes, research protective gear and bikes (if you don't already have one) and save your pennies for some ride-days/courses.

I just finished my Level2 Advanced Course today, which is much the same as the Learners course, just with a greater chance of failing :)

You'll be on a bike before you know it :wink:
  6. SA ridersafe waiting

Been the case for a while. I went through all that at the start of the year and had was told the same. I got lucky on the basic course because when I rang, they had just had a cancellation and I got in that weekend. But I had to wait over 2 months for my advanced course.

Good decision on the VTR250. Exactly what I bought first up. Great bike. Had a lot of trouble giving her up when I upgraded. Had a little sit down with her before riding her to the dealership for the last time.

As far as the course goes, I have posted previously in detail about the advanced course and what is involved (https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7247&highlight=ridersafe)
    As far as the basic course goes, I also had never riden a bike before and found it to be very quick. They have limited time to go through a lot so they fire hose it down your throat. Unless you have a friend with a bike on a property there is no real way to prepare for it. All I can say is - remember to squeeze the clutch if you're in trouble. We had one guy who got a bit out of shape and let the clutch out. The little CB250 was last seen sailing unmanned across the course into the fence. Amazingly this also happened on the advanced course with blood spilt!