Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Interesting YouTube video. Motorcycle crashes: Four top causes

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by zenali, Dec 3, 2009.

1. #1 zenali, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015

An interesting report on an accident prevention programme in the East Midlands in the UK. They have a set of signs that they put up in areas where motorcycle accidents are common. They put different signs in different locations to try to combat the 4 most common motorcycle accidents.

I think they've put a bit of thought into this. Like those 'Motorcycle Hazard' signs that you see on some roads in Victoria, but much more targeted. Instead of one sign saying 'Hazard, next 3 km', they actually point out the most probably cause of the accident and hopefully direct a bit of driver attention towards the bikes on the road.
  2. I like that one. Balance, informative and accurate. =D>
  3. smart eh. imagine, all the money spent on that ****ing ad, they could have an army of those guys

4. ..I thought that the posters & ad were a good idea. Anything that raises awareness can't be a bad thing! And yeah!, at least he didn't just blame the drivers!!... As riders, the mere fact that we are not protected by a steel cage & air bags means that we need to be super alert.

Actually, since riding the bike, I now drive differently!! ... far less aggressive behind the wheel and I leave a greater gap between me and the car ahead.
  5. I'm willing to bet you move your head around a lot more as well, looking out for what's around you.

Personally, I don't like the signs. IMO there are too many signs around as it is. If you read every sign on the side of the road you'd hardly have time to watch the road.

It's a bit like having to watch traffic lights as you approach them rather than watch where you're going, in case you miss the split second you have these days to make the decision to either stop or continue on through an intersection and risk running a red.