Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Interesting pre-learner experience

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by 00oli, Nov 12, 2008.

1. So I went along to a pre learner course yesterday and the day before, and to cut a long and pondorous story short failed miserable. About 3 hours into day 1, I just couldnt find the co ordination to change gears, turn and keep the throttle constant at the same time.

I noticed in the class that everyone except me had enjoyed previous dirtbike experience (some for over 10 years), and so when the instructor passed over really basic things (such as which side of the handles the break was!) I found myself becoming more and more lost.

My question is this- should I expected to have that level of difficulty in the course? I assumed it was for absolute beginners, but some terms used (e.g. 'fast idle') could only be described as jargon. Also, what would the appropriate course of action for the instructor be. I was told that I would not be refunded the fee, and that my best recommendation would be to buy some private lessons (at around $200 each).

I'd just like to check that I was given the correct information and not lead astray, and also if there are any other slow learners in the community who could empathise with my position :)

Whaddaya think, guys?

2. Not sure who you did your training with but a beginners course should be paced to allow you to get confidence and learn the basics. Perhaps another training organisation might be better for you. Best of luck.

3. Hmm, well I did the pre learner course around 5 months ago with Stay Upright and I had no previous experience with motorbikes. They do say in the pamphlet thingo that no previous experience is required, however a high level of coordination is.
    Do you ride push bikes, and or have driven a manual car? That would help with your balance and changing gears respectively. I think it would be easy to become overwhelmed with it all, your given alot of information in a short period of time. I'm suprised they passed over the control layout of the bike, was your instructor aware that you had no motorbike experience? If you have a friend that owns a motorbike perheps get them to show you the basic stuff, then do the course again. Whatever you do, don't give up, theres lots of fun to be had!

4. I remember when I did my Ls they started as basic as they could get. Designed for someone who hasn't even seen a bike before. They actually started with this is the front and this is the back.

Also remember them saying something about being entitled to a certain number of extra hours free if you don't pick up everything well enough at the course to pass. I'd definately be asking about that at least, better to use those hours up if they still have them before considering paying for private lessons.

5. Also, just remembered. When my brother was doing his Ps he had some issue with the instructor, who then didn't let him do the test. When he complained they allowed him to rebook without having to pay the fee again. I know the circumstances are different to yours but if you put your case forward well enough then maybe they would consider letting you redo the course again without paying, I'd say there's a better chance of that than getting a refund.

When you do redo the course make sure you let the instructor know if they're moving to fast over stuff. Most of them are really good and are doing the job because they want to see more happy and safe motorcyclists out on the road.

6. I too went with Stay Upright and all the experience I had prior was one ride on a dirt bike 10+ years ago and the wafflings of mates who also ride.

It did help being used to a manual car, coordination comes easier in that case.

But yeah, Stay Upright do a great job of helping you catch up and don't rush over things unless they can see that everyone is following.

Give them a go if you ever want to try a different place. :­)

7. Sounds like your instructor was poor. I recently observed a pre "L''s course and every single plausable detail was mentioned. Leaving the begginer rider at ease with the new machine.
    Praps you should ring the company, a trainer who does not train is failing in his duties.

8. 00oli, if you are serious about learning to ride, why not do some homework? There are books out there for complete beginners, i.e. Pat Hahn's How to Ride a Motorcycle. It provides an explanation of the controls and some mental exercises to practice before ever hopping on a real bike.

I just did the pre-Ls course this past weekend, and the instructor did move quickly, but he also was making sure that we understood what he was talking about and gave the opportunity to ask questions. If your instructor did not give you the opportunity to ask questions and was caught up thinking that everyone already understood how to ride, I would say that he failed you as a student. I hope something works out for you, either retaking the course without paying the fee or something. Best of luck.

JZ

9. if you did it at HART you should be entitled to a remedial lesson if you couldn't finish the pre-learners. The first one is free as far as I remember.

10. I know somebody who went for the learners at HART without ever having ridden a bicycle before. It turns out that they had no idea how to balance a two-wheeled vehicle, so the instructor arranged for them to come back some time later to do the course. In the meantime they bought a pushbike and learned how to ride a bike. 6 months later they were back at HART and successfully got their Ls.

11. I did my pre-Learners at HART without a second's experience on a motorbike. They went through all the basic controls, how to operate clutch and throttle, braking, centre and side stand's all prior to us sitting on the motorcycle.
    I would say it was the instructor who had failed you... not you as a student.

12. When I did my pre-learners course i had never driven a car or bike before. The instructor was great, he explained everything clearly, and made sure they everyone had understood what he said.

Having said that, I did have a little trouble coordinating it all together. But now that I'm out on the road I found that the coordination comes with a little bit of practice.

I would say the instructor could have done a better job. Perhaps talk to the RTA. I'm not saying complain, but they might have some good advice for you.

13. Sounds like the instructor went a bit quick due to the higher "average" experience level of the group. It's a difficult balance to strike when you have varying experience levels.

My pre-leaners was very basic. First thing we did was walk alongside the bike (engine off) pushing it for 5 metres then braking with the front brake to get a feel for how hard it bites.

I had three different instructors up to getting my license and some were definately more geared up for complete beginers than others. I would ring the training centre and ask if any of their instructors are more geared towards absolute beginners.

Also $200 sounds like a lot for a private lesson. I think they're about $80-$120 an hour over here in Melbourne.

14. i did the first day of the pre-learners today and the instructor moved quickly through everything but didnt miss anything and really drilled into us where the brakes were and how to use them! and he did also mention that if you were having trouble you were entitled to a few hours of one-on-one lessons to help you out if you were having trouble.

also look on youtube for "how to ride a motorcycle" lots of videos showing the basics on there :)