Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Interesting article on unmarked cop cars

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by MV, Apr 9, 2011.

1. "We came away from Delaware feeling that the unmarked car:

-Is a potent weapon against recklessness

-Can be fairly employed, as it was in Delaware; and

-Could be seriously abused by lazy or dishonest police departments."

Change "departments" to "officers", or to "a system where officers are forced to fill quotas" and you see one example of the last concern. And what about a failure regarding the second point - I'm thinking of speeding up to quickly get past an apparently inattentive or distacted driver (eg the bogan texting on the freeway while her car crosses lanes) - in a context where I am otherwise cruising within the speed limit. I often worry about that - that I will be pedantically booked for driving in a way which, in the real and dangerous world, is actually law-abiding, courteous, but mindful and accounting of dangers. And note well that in this article the aggressive drivers were generally defensive: "This is unfair!" Really - because I can see you're such a fair-minded driver!

Otherwise, I say bring them on! Provided the cars are used less for technicalities and more to book obviously negligent and dangerous driving - the stuff which certain people will do if they think they won't get caught, and which endangers the rest of us. The extra value is that they have the panopticon effect that is the essence of the first point: they hopefully decrease reckless driving (though that's not a given). Of course people will want to debate whether police and the laws are right and just in their definitions of recklessness, but that's a different matter. I see so much wilfully dangerous and aggressive driving where I'd love there to be an unmarked cop.

And this is coming from somebody who's only fines were from an unmarked police car (filtering - so yeah, I'm aware that there's issues around defining what's dangerous and what's not. But I'll also grant that they were technically in the right in booking me and quite respectful in their work, and I was a fool for riding that way on a public holiday in that place).
  2. That's a great magazine; p.177 has really good advice: "Old pistons make rugged, sporty-looking ash trays."
  3. Even better: this advert in the magazine :D

4. The benefits of marked cars do not simply extend to traffic enforcement. Seeing regular marked patrols through neighbourhoods and shopping areas creates an atmosphere of law and order, and I would think, pulls people's behaviour into line.

Also, per page 99,
    The police cannot engage and build links with the community if they're not visibly in the community. People cannot seek protection from or report issues to the police if they don't know they're there.

Then there's the oft talked about issue on NetRider of unmarked HWP vehicles tailgating or baiting other vehicles with hooning. They cannot engage in such behaviour if their vehicles are marked because the community would be in uproar, but it is completely ignored when they are unmarked because the community thinks they're another thug in a Commodore V8.

I want the police accountable, visible and accessible. Reserve the unmarked cars for the detectives. General duty and TMU / HWP officers should drive marked vehicles.
  5. I'm not sure I understand your logic here, if you want TMU/GDs in marked cars, why do Detectives need plain ones?

There are times when GD's are in plain clothes and cars when targeting specific offences/areas, same for traffic types. Why not detectives in marked cars then? What makes them different?
  6. I would think marked cars might impede detectives while detecting (i.e. intelligence gathering). If this isn't the case, by all means stick them in marked cars, this would also have the positive side effect of cutting down on the use of public vehicles for personal use.

Also, apart from random breath testing operations which are a necessary evil in my opinion, I'm opposed the police going out and targeting a specific offence for the day, because this means discretion gets thrown out of the window and other offences are often ignored (from my personal observation).
  7. Fair enough, I see where you're coming from now. Not sure I agree though...

8. This is my main concern. When I was a wee tacker ( early 90s ), there were rumours of unmarked XR8s from Castle Hill ( NSW ) baiting young drivers. Well, it wasn't a rumour, I was on the rough end of some seriously intimidating driving one day at the hands of a cop in an unmarked dark green EB XR8. What recourse do we have ? None, our word against theirs.
  9. Detectives are not usually the front line police, ie. emergency response and public liaison and entrapment. Often have a more behind the scenes role that doesn't involve big letters and chequered stripes and want to go about quietly, solving mysteries with their magnifying glass and taking drug money bribes, that sort of thing.
  10. #12 Azamakumar, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  11. bait them back, have someone else film the situation with a hi def. camera and send it to the media.