Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Intellectual exercise - how to throw money at a bike build.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by VladTepes, Apr 7, 2011.

1. As an intellectual exercise…

Let’s say you had a budget of (for example) around $15,000.

You fancy a Café racer style bike.

You like Guzzis.

There are 2 options available.

Option 1

Purchase a new V7 Café and make some minor mods to it over time to get something a little unique.

Option 2

Purchase an older Guzzi (perhaps a classic V7 or Le Mans III) and throw some money at it to create the look you are after.

Which option would YOU go for, and why?

What do you see as the advantages / pitfalls of each approach.

Discuss.

2. Buy the new V7 cause it's dead sexy any way :) save yourself a lot of time and energy.

3. I think it really depends on the skills you have and how much you can do yourself. For me I'd have to go the newer bike because I don't have the skills or time to do a lot of modding myself. If you have to pay others to do stuff you can put in a lot of money for not much.

On the other hand, if you can do stuff yourself I think there'd be a lot of enjoyment in the journey of building something. I guess another factor is whether you need to be riding it while you're working on it or whether it can spend some time in bits in the shed without significantly inconveniencing you.

4. As someone who has spent a LOT of time and money on a 1975 3C Laverda,buy the new one.Old bikes are crap shoots,if you lucky its easy and cheap,OR more likely HARD and EXPENSIVE and FRUSTRATING with lots of time not riding.Whats your main plesure working on them or riding them.100% of old bike owners have more than 1 bike for a very good reason

5. 06 1200 sport ???? Ooooooh V7

6. Well I do have a shed, and a Land Rover as daily transport so that would be fine, BUT of course being able to gt out there and ride them is really the point.

Yeah so true. So true. So scary.

Yes it is. Just not sure whether that green colour is exactly right though - seems a bit more avocado than the original racng reen colour....

The one new one old bike woud really be ideal but I don't even have enough money for either... a the moment.

Alright then, what modifications can be done to a new bike that are WORTHWHILE and reasonably inexpensive. (using the V7 Cafe as a basis, say).

7. Personally, I'd go for a nice late 80's Le Mans and spend what change I might have on making it reliable. That way, at the end of the day, I'd have a real caff racer that would hold its value or appreciate, rather than a retro copy that is subject to the depreciation of a new bike.

But it ain't my money or shed time :D.

8. For that budget I'd go with option 3 - buy a Honda CX500 and spend what is needed to get something truly unique and which I'd be happy to call "finished".

15k is only the first deposit on a decent Guzzi IMO.

9. Not interested in a Jap bike, thanks, though I see someone on here HAS done a very nice CX500 cafe racer.

Who knows anything about Guzzis. Obviously not about to do anything nasty to an early Le Mans (850 aka Mk 1)

What's out there that for a reasonable price would make a good project starting point?

10. Circa 1988 1000S. Arguably even better looking than the contemporary Lemon. More traditional, with no bikini fairing and what was, for a non-Jap race rep of the day, a fairly aggressive riding position. I remember spending days with my nose pressed to the window of my local Guzzi dealer when they first came out. Then someone noticed and unfroze me with a bucket of hot water :D. Not sure how common they are over East, but there are a couple that I see around Perth.

11. Actually I can do without a "fairly aggressive" riding postion thanks.

12. Not sure if that's compatible with "caff racer" as I've always understood the term :D.

Seriously though, by sport bike standards, the 1000S riding position is actually fairly mild. I'm talking with reference to the standards of nearly quarter of a century ago which were a bit different.

13. Personally I'd get a V11 lemans. The V7 looks good, but the 750cc engine is lame and will always be lame no matter what you do to it.

14. All very well but costs more too.

edit - I stand corrected - a bit cheaper but a bit older too !

Seems more and more sportsbike than what I probably really want.

I'm going to have to find some of these various bikes and try them on for size eh.

15. Well it wouldn't be hard to change the colour to something you like for starters. You could spend a little bit extra and buy a V7 racer. You couldn't build a bike that looks like that for the same money.

16. Not convinced by the racer. I like the chrome tank but the rest of it doesn't quite come together for mine

I think I really need to have a look and feel of some of these bikes including somehow the second hand ones

Anyone with a guzzi anywhere near Redcliffe feel free to pm me and offer a show and tell!

17. I would buy the new one, a friend of mine has an 80s le mans and the issue he found was that you cant get modern rubber fit as the wheel is the wrong size. The rubber choices are woeful.

He has had to hack the swing arm to get a 17 to fit.

18. Well generally speaking an 80's Le Mans is no modern superbike and the rubber choices which ARE available would be, I would have thought, adequate.

19. If you really want to go quick with skinny 18 inchers, Heidenau (I think) do suitable sizes in a race compound for the historic competition boys. Not cheap, but if you must have stickies.........

20.  Top