Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Insurance suggestions for 24yo learner

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Minority153, Mar 20, 2015.

  1. Hi guys,

    Need to pick your brains on insurance.

    So I'm going for my learner's next week and hopefully getting a new suzuki inazuma gw250.

    I've heard a mixture of suggestions about insurance. I'm definitely going to go for comprehensive. But which companies insure learners, don't charge a ridiculous fee each year, have additional options such as content theft, and also aren't a huge pain in the butt to deal with.

    Here's my stats. I'm a 24 year old female with a full driver's licence and have (officially) not had any accidents.

    If you could suggest a company and estimate an annual price that would be very greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance. :)

  2. Good luck on your learners!
    The cheapest for me (29, learner, street triple 660, 5 years license, 1 at fault accident) was Swann. Paying $59 a month, closest I could find elsewhere was around $80:

    I put in details close to yours and the initial quote was $36~ a month for comprehensive. It will probably go up a bit as you progress along the form, but for me it was a diff of $5 or so (and I added gear insurance).
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I'm with YOUI, Great Service, Good Prices once you are off your P's. You have to be prepared to research for yourself though.
  4. I have done plenty of research (22y/o male, restricted p's, no accidents, MC22) and found that AAMI was the cheapest for me. $330 a year (TP Fire+Theft).

    I have my car insured with Youi and they quoted me over $700 for the same cover with a higher excess.

    Do plenty of research - Make online quotes, print them out and physically compare
  5. Howdy

    Best suggestion I can give is to try as many online quotations as you can on the various websites and to fully understand the FINE PRINT, as well as the amount you want covered.

    The devil is in the detail. Always. Sometimes it pays to pay more but get beter cover. Some offer 'free' gear cover to a certain value, others will replace with new if stolen or written off in the first or second year. Also, some have certain additional excesses if you are young or have had your licence for less than 2 years etc.


    Sure there are many others I have not mentioned. Insurance cost very much depends on your specific risk profile.

    I have noticed NRMA only take the 'age' of your car licence into account.

    Good luck in finding suitable insurance.
  6. I was with Youi as they were cheapest at the time. When it came time to cash in on my insurance policy (write off) they were very good and paid out within 5 days, and the customer service was brilliant.

    My new bike is with 'insuremyride.com.au' as they were the cheapest for this type of bike. I have found it is very bike dependent, some insurers are scared of anything over 250cc and will jack the price right up.
  7. Qbe is best that I found
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. I'm with Swann and pay a basic $400 excess, have all my gear n helmet covered as well... Being on P's they stick you with a $600 excess as well, so $1000 in total.
  9. Be careful with YOUI. One gotcha on my bike policy was an extra $1000 excess for the first 90 days of the policy... On top of ANY and all other excesses.
  10. Unfortunately, as you have seen from the replies, this is a bit of a how long is a piece of string question. Location, is it garaged, the insurers experience with the particular model all play a part. There is no substitute for shopping around I am afraid. As a woman you are generally considered a lower risk that a 24 yo male. Your home location is low theft as distinct from Moorolbark/Croydon a bit further over from you where theft rates are much higher. Your driving history doesn't generally carry over into bike insurance unless your car insurance is with someone who also does bikes, then you may get some consideration.
  11. Hi, I have also just got my L's. Try QBE insurance, they were reasonable. Good luck and enjoy riding.
  12. Thanks guys. :)
  13. QBE were the best I found, by a long shot.