Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

insurance expectations

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by jasoni, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Hi all,
    Im a off road mxer who is thinking of getting on the road. Im based in SA.

Before I start to get ahead of myself, I havent sat my license test yet as I want to find what I can expect to pay for insurance.
    I have my eye on the ducati 748.. Im 25, Rating 1 car driver, nil claims, driving since I was 16.. What would it cost me to insur this beast a year?

I plan on getting something smaller for the first 18 months.. but want to work out if my plan is feasible before going down this path..

Im just after an approximate.. I wont be able to call the insuracnce companies up until week after next as I will be overseas for work..
    Thanks in advance
  2. hi jasoni - you'll find prices vary quite a lot. premiums depend on how often you ride, your age, postcode, agreed or market value etc. the 748 is a hot little piece of kit - I don't know what they're worth but I'd say if you have a good driving record and being under 30 you'd probably be looking at $1000-1500 per year

if you don't intend riding to work everyday you can get better rates. I've got both my bikes through Shannon's and they are cheaper than the rest because they offer 'predominantly' weekend usage. if you occasionally ride to work that is ok too, as long as it's not used as a commuter - I don't think you'd use a 748 for that anyway.

your best bet is to get on line and try a few quotes, a lot of the insurers have online quoting. good luck - I hope you have a good driving/riding record.