Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Insurance costs

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by Dehon, May 22, 2008.

1. Rang around for some quotes this afternoon for a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R and a 2008 Hyosung GT650R

Quotes I got were from QBE, Western QBE, AAMI, NRMA & Insuremyride

The value of the quotes varied from (not providing who gave what quote as this might be a no-no on the forums(?)):

Hyosung $370 - $1300pa
    Kawasaki $320 - $700pa

All quotes were based on max no claim bonus, bike to be stored in carport, no claims in last 5 yrs, perfect driving/riding record, learners licence, sole owner/rider, private daily use, over 35yrs of age.

How is it possible for there to be such a fluctuation in prices to the point where some quotes are over three times as much as others?

What difference, if any, is there between QBE and Western QBE as they both gave me different quotes?

With some quotes, it cost more to insure the Ninja than the Hyo, at the same insurer. Something I definitely didn’t expect.

Appreciate anyone insights/thoughts into this.

2. Some insurers don't want to insure bikes at all.

Some insurers only want to insure specific types of bikes.

Some insurers only want to insure specific types of riders.

Some insurers class 'multirole' bikes as a sensible, unlikely-to-crash touring bike or commuter, while other insurers class 'multirole' bikes as sportsbikes that will be wrapped around the first tree they encounter.

Some insurers take a similar approach to BigPond internet - they bank on people going straight to them because they're such a big name that everyone assumes that they must be the best deal available!

That's why I always refuse to tell people "who is the best insurer". Nobody but the insurer knows the magic formula that determines whether you'll be given a good price or not. And you might be the very type of rider the insurer wants to insure. If they don't want to insure you, they'll let you know by giving you a crazy quote.

Good to hear you rang around, btw. :)

W-QBE is a seperate company, IIRC (it says something about this on WQBE's website, from memory.)
  3. hey dehon, any further luck on insurance quotes for the hyo gt650r?

i'm gettin a new one in a few mths....
  4. What is this? I don't understand.
  5. Ktulu wrote:

If you haven't had any accidents, etc mate...... :wink: