Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Insurance Confusion - NSW

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by conspiracytheorist, Aug 24, 2007.

1. I've just got a bill for 3rd party for my zzr for 170.

But 3 months ago I paid 280 for the greenslip... (when rego had nearly expired).

Is there a difference between the two things or am I getting screwed over?

2. Read the one you just got carefully: sometimes they'll send out a notice for the compulsory third party (CTP) insurance that says 'You paid this with your registration, this is just for your information'.

Another alternative is that this bill is for third party property insurance , which you might have if you don't have comprehensive insurance on the bike. Third party property is different from CTP (which covers injury to third parties).
  3. Compulsory Third Party (Personal) is what you pay with your rego (green slip), this covers injury to other people. Third Party (Property) covers damage to other people's property. Comprehensive covers damage to others property as well as your own.

In NSW you will (should) have two lots of insurance, CTP at rego time plus whatever cover you decide that you need.
  4. Easy way to remember the difference.
    CTP is for Broken bones

TPPD is for broken bikes
  5. So much easier in the non privatised Victorian system, and cheaper as well, and no blame, and.............
  6. Hey Peev, no need to rub it in, mate. They're suffering enough as it is, what with expensive 3rd party (and no single crash cover), e-tags and toll ways, and of course, having Sydney in the same state as them...
  7. Thanks for clearing that up.
  8. dude, i was gonna start to point out all the shortcomings of living in victoria....but you won with the "having Sydney in the same state as them" bit.
    i cant compete with that :(
  9. jared ya bastard i pay a whole 20 bucks extra for my TPPD! that with the NRMA?

i'd rather have to pay tolls for the occasions i use motorways, than getting booked for doing 4kms over the limit and have to deal with TMU...

sydney, yeah i got nothing...
    except hows the nightlife in mogo joel? :p

10. clubhouse 9kms (or 6 mins) away, never a dull moment ;)
  11. 167 for TPPD :grin:

NRMA yes.

I'm 280 for greenslip though :( Stupid new levy!
  12. my ctp was $301 :(
  13. Yeah, but you have a hoon's bike :p

.. and my dad is primary rider :)